Colchester 7 Redbridge & Ilford 1

Premier BColchester 7 Redbridge & Ilford 1The table was looking much better for Colchester on Saturday night as they managed to demolish bottom placed side Redbridge & Ilford.

Premier B

Colchester 7 Redbridge & Ilford 1

The table was looking much better for Colchester on Saturday night as they managed to demolish bottom placed side Redbridge & Ilford.

Colchester started the game at a quick place and within a minute they were a goal up, Rohan Khaira crossing the ball from the right to Rob Mann.

You may also want to watch:

Mann took one touch before turning and firing a reverse stick shot in from close range. Colchester continued to press and should have further extended their advantage on a number of occasions, Khaira shooting wide after a good run into the 'D' and Ed Long-Price having a penalty corner strike saved by the keeper.

Colchester doubled their advantage when Khaira flicked the ball home from an acute angle. A free-hit just inside the 25-yard line was touched on by Brian Barker to Khaira who rounded the keeper before firing home.

Most Read

Redbridge's best chance of the half came when a forward made his way round the back but couldn't get past Grant Hibbert in the Colchester goal.

Colchester continued to exert their dominance. An aerial ball out of defence by Michael Pearce found Andrew Walker, who centred the ball to Mann, who beat the first man but couldn't get his shot past the onrushing keeper.

Khaira was having a fine half down the right with two crosses coming in but the forwards failing to convert.

Colchester did have a third goal before half-time. Once again Khaira showed good awareness to find Walker in the 'D'. Walker really should have converted himself, but his saved shot found its way to Long-Price who made it three goals in three games as he slotted the ball home.

The home side started the second half very slowly indeed and within minutes had allowed Redbridge back into the game. The Redbridge skipper converting their first penalty corner of the match.

A neat one-two between Mann and Long-Price gave another opportunity for Mann, however he could only fire his shot at the keeper.

Colchester had two more scares as they almost hit the self destruct button. A quick break by the visitors was thwarted by Hibbert and he once again came to the rescue after a suicidal pass across the back by Wayne Masters.

This only spurred Colchester back to life and they had soon restored the three goal advantage. Mark Kennedy showed good skill in the 'D' before finding Tom Philp, whose shot somehow crept over the line. Matt Low went close as he fired a reverse stick shot from an acute angle.

Redbridge & Ilford had a man sin binned for a bad tackle and this was the signal for the flood gates to open.

Colchester converted three more times as they racked up their biggest win of the season. Low getting on the score sheet after his penalty corner strike was deflected off the keeper's pads.

Colchester's sixth goal was the goal of the match, Khaira firing the ball into the 'D' from deep and Brian Barker deflecting the ball into the goal.

Colchester completed the rout in the final minutes, with Will Devitt adding his name to the score sheet.

Long-Price had his penalty corner strike saved by the keeper and Pearce's follow up shot was blocked, the ball then found its way to Devitt, who had a simple task to push the ball home into an empty net.

Hills Residential Man of The Match was Ed Long-Price for his goal and tireless work in midfield.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter