Colchester 8 Pelicans 4

NE14Hockey East Men's LeaguePremier BColchester 8 Pelicans 4COLCHESTER put in the performance of the season as they beat Pelicans at home on Saturday.

NE14Hockey East Men's League

Premier B

Colchester 8

Pelicans 4

COLCHESTER put in the performance of the season as they beat Pelicans at home on Saturday. Colchester added Craig Warriner and Duncan Scott to the squad which beat Long Sutton, having gained that win Colchester were keen to follow that up by putting in a good performance against a side sitting second in the table.

The game started at a good tempo with Colchester looking to play some good hockey and create chances, however it wasn't until the ninth minute that the first real chance of the game came. A long ball up to a Pelicans forward was not dealt with and Joe Rich ended the attack by giving away a Penalty Corner, which was converted off the stick of Colchester keeper Ross Stannard.

Most Read

Colchester were not behind for long as within a minute they had equalised. Colchester took a quick free hit from the right back position and quickly transferred the ball from right to left to Tom Philp. Philp beat his man before slipping the ball past the on coming keeper to Matt Brown who hit the ball first time reverse stick into the goal.

Colchester took the lead for the first time in the match when Joe Rich was fouled in the 25 to give Colchester their first penalty corner of the match. The first effort was blocked but adjudged to be illegally and the umpire awarded a retake. This time the ball was slipped to Warriner whose effort was saved on the line only for Tom Philp to swoop in to slap the ball home.

In a match that was swinging one way then the other Colchester's lead was not to last long. A free hit was awarded to Pelicans when Colchester Skipper Rohan Khaira questioned the decision and the umpire upgraded the award to a penalty corner. This time the Pelicans drag went to the keepers left and Matt Low was unable to keep the ball out on the line.

Colchester had a scare moments later when a quick free hit was taken and they had left a man unmarked at the back post, thankfully he was unable to control the ball and the danger passed. With 28 minutes gone Colchester regained the lead. Colchester were fouled a couple of times in the 25. From the free hit Tim Wright looked to deflect the ball past the Pelicans goalkeeper; his effort was saved but the ball fell to Duncan Scott, who passed the ball back to Wright who flicked the ball reverse stick into the goal.

Both sides were looking dangerous on the attack and Colchester were indebted to Matt Low for a superb tackle after a Pelicans forward was allowed to run down the Colchester right. From the long corner Pelicans moved the ball into the 'D' and got a shot off. Stannard made a good save before Michael Pearce took a wild swing at the ball to give away another Penalty Corner. This time though the Pelicans striker shot just wide.

Colchester extended their lead on the stoke of play. Mark Kennedy made a tackle in the Pelicans half before finding Matt Brown at the top of the 'D' who made no mistake with his finish.

Within a minute of the restart Pelicans had pulled a goal back. Tom Philp was dispossessed of the ball on the half way line, where Pelicans broke quickly a fired a shot past Stannard from close range.

Colchester were not to be deterred and were creating chances. Philp unable to get on the end of a cross from Rob Mann after Rohan Khaira had made a good tackle on the half way line. Colchester restored their two goal advantage with a great team goal. Warriner took a sideline ball on the right, playing the ball back to Joe Rich, Rich found Khaira inside who played the ball into the top of 'D' to Philp. Philp slipped the ball down to the left baseline to Warriner who had made a good run after taking the hit. Warriner pushed the ball back to the Penalty Spot where Khaira was arriving to deflect the ball first time into the goal.

Colchester were rampant and quickly added their sixth. Richard Sexton turned his man before firing in a cross which Warriner coolly lifted over the advancing keeper. Duncan Scott had a chance to get his name on the score sheet a few minutes later but could only fire straight at the keeper.

Midway through the second half Pelicans had pulled a goal back. Khaira made good tackle to prevent a shot, however the ball fell to another forward who was felled by Matt Low. It was Pelicans fourth Penalty Corner of the match and for the third time Pelicans found the back of the net.

Colchester though were sticking to their game plan and transferring the ball from left to right and back a gain with ease. It was down the right though that they were creating the most, with Rich, Khaira and Sexton all looking dangerous.

On 57 minutes Khaira was given a spell in the sin-bin after foolishly trying to take the ball down with his stick over head height. However Colchester quickly broke down play from the free hit and went on the counter attack. A quick break down the right saw Matt Brown pick the ball up. As brown turned the umpired deemed the Pelicans defender had deliberately used his foot and awarded a yellow card and a penalty corner. Brown stepped up to take the penalty corner and complete his hat trick with an unstoppable flick into the top corner.

Colchester continued to look dangerous and created chances. With just five minutes remaining both sides were reduced to 10-men again as two yellow cards were issued. Mark Kennedy was fouled in the Colchester 'D' to give pelicans their second yellow and Kennedy's retaliation saw him join the Pelicans player in the bin.

With time running out Richard Bran made a good tackle just inside the Pelicans half before going on a run down the right. As Bran cut along the baseline he was tackled but the umpire deemed the ball was deliberately played over the back line. As this happened the other umpire blew for full time. After discussions the umpires deemed that the penalty corner had been given before the final whistle and that it should be played to its conclusion. For the second week running Matt Brown had the final touch as he flicked the ball into the back of the net to make the final score 8-4 to Colchester.

This win took Colchester off the bottom and out of the bottom two for the first time in weeks and they will be looking to build on these two results when the league resumes in the New Year.

Hills Residential Man of the Match was Joe Rich for his constant threat down the right.