Colchester crash out of cup

Colchester United 1 Peterborough United 3By Carl MarstonCOLCHESTER United crashed out of the FA Cup at the hands of League Two opposition, and they could have no complaints with Peterborough United's comfortable win.

Colchester United 1 Peterborough United 3

By Carl Marston

COLCHESTER United crashed out of the FA Cup at the hands of League Two opposition, and they could have no complaints with Peterborough United's comfortable win.

Posh were the better team throughout, breezing through to the fourth round thanks to goals from Aaron Mclean, George Boyd and Charlie Lee. The U's only response was a first-half penalty from Teddy Sheringham.

Geraint Williams is therefore still waiting for his first cup success as a manager, having now seen his U's team lose to League Two opposition four times in the last couple of seasons - at MK Dons and Shrewsbury in the Carling Cup, and now to Barnet and Peterborough in the FA Cup.

Posh were in the ascendancy from the moment that Mclean headed home Jeff Hughes' fourth minute corner, for his 20th goal of the season.

Most Read

In fact, they should have been further ahead before the U's pegged them back with a soft penalty on 42 minutes. Sheringham converted the spot kick, after Chris Whelpdale had been harshly adjudged to have pushed Kevin Lisbie inside the penalty area.

But Darren Ferguson's men continued to dictate, and they regained the lead within 26 seconds of the start of the second period. Boyd lashed home Lee's cross in some style.

It was Lee himself who headed home Whelpdale's 73rd minute corner to make the game safe for Peterborough. The final whistle was greeted by a chorus of boos from the Layer Road faithful.

The warning bells were already sounding when Adam Virgo conceded a free-kick 30 yards from goal. Sheringham could help on Hughes' delivery and Mclean's goal-bound header was clawed away by Dean Gerken.

However, MCLEAN was not to be denied as he broke the deadlock from the ensuing corner. The former Grays Athletic front-runner, one of the smallest players on the pitch, arrived unnoticed at the far post to head home Hughes' cross.

Posh keeper Tyler was finally called into action in the 22nd minute. Kevin Lisbie and Sheringham combined, with the former England star sliding into the path of Yeates, who let fly first time with a low shot that Tyler blocked with his legs.

Only the woodwork denied both Peterborough and Mclean a second goal in the 34th minute. Whelpdale stormed down the right flank and whipped over a superb cross for Mclean to again win the header. It was a great leap from the red-hot striker, and Gerken was relieved to see the ball cannon off his far post and stay out of goal.

The U's came close to an equaliser in the 38th minute. Sheringham released Yeates on the right wing, and his cross was nodded on for Jackson, who could not get enough power behind his header from eight yards out. Tyler easily held onto the ball.

However, the home side were level via the penalty spot, thanks to SHERINGHAM'S 42nd minute effort, his fourth goal of the season.

It looked a harsh decision. Jackson floated over a teasing cross to the edge of the six-yard box, where Lisbie stumbled under pressure from Whelpdale. Referee Andre Marriner adjudged that Lisbie had been shoved in the back, and so pointed to the spot.

Up stepped Sheringham to send keeper Tyler the wrong way with a sweetly-struck penalty, which soared into the top corner of the net.

The U's could certainly count themselves lucky to be on level terms at the break. Peterborough had enjoyed most of the possession and had registered twice as many goal attempts as their hosts.

It took Peterborough just 26 seconds to regain their lead at the start of the second-half, as the U's were caught cold by BOYD'S finish.

Posh attacked from the restart and Lee swept over a low cross which an unmarked Boyd was able to lash home at the far post. Boyd's unstoppable angled shot was struck first time, giving keeper Gerken no chance to react as it flew into the opposite corner of the net.

Yeates was chopped down by full-back Adam Newton, and then nearly scored from the ensuing free-kick in the 67th minute. Tyler allowed Yeates' effort to slip through his fingertips down at his near post, only for defender Hughes to hack away before Sheringham could react.

Posh gave themselves some breathing space by adding a third goal in the 73rd minute, thanks to a precise header from LEE.

White conceded a corner with a timely interception, but the defence could not handle the set piece as Whelpdale's cross was headed home by midfielder Lee, who was standing eight yards from goal. It was Lee's seventh goal of the season.

There was no way back for woeful Colchester.


COLCHESTER UNITED: GERKEN 7, White 5, Baldwin 5, Virgo 5, Elokobi 5, Yeates 6, Jackson 6, Guttridge 5, McLeod 5 (sub Duguid, 60), Sheringham 6 (sub Guy, 73), Lisbie 6. Unused subs: Izzet, Balogh, Cousins.

PETERBOROUGH UNITED: Tyler 7, Newton 6, Morgan 7, Charnock 7, Hughes 7, Whelpdale 8 (sub Gnakpa, 85), LEE 8, Hyde 7, Boyd 7, Mclean 8, Mackail-Smith 7 (sub Howe, 90). Unused subs: Keates, Strachen, Low.

Referee: Mr Andre Marriner (West Midlands) 6

Attendance: 4,003

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter