Colchester Jiu Jitsu fighter Taylor Pearman wins national silver
- Credit: Archant
An Essex fighter has returned from London with a silver medal in the British National Pro Jiu Jitsu Championship.
Taylor Pearman, 19, from Colchester, took silver in the Open Class Purple Belt Category and also a bronze in the Male Adult Purple Belt -85kg Category.
But the ambitious fighter said he was disappointed not to win the gold, which he targeted at the start of the competition.
He explained: “I didn’t win the gold, I started a bit slow and lost the first five fights so did well to get the medal.
“I beat the UK’s best in my opinion, Sean Coates, in the semi-final and then I lost the final by two points which was tough.
You may also want to watch:
“I was 14 when I started and my coach told me to quit boxing and MMA and concentrate on Jiu Jitsu.
“I love it and this is my life now – I travel the world competing and training.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 3 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 4 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 5 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 6 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 7 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 9 The best roast dinners in Suffolk as chosen by our readers
- 10 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
The competition saw participants from around the world and across the UK competing, with over 150 fights taking place on the day.
Gus Oliveira, tournament organiser for the UAE Jiu Jitsu Federation, said he was delighted with the day’s competition.
“I am extremely happy after a very successful event where we witnessed an impressive level of competition at these British Championships,” he said.
“I am excited how this sport is developing worldwide but also in the UK as this weekend’s event proved.
“Many congratulations to Taylor and we look forward to seeing him at our next big event – the Abu Dhabi Grand Slam Jiu Jitsu World Tour which comes to London’s Excel Centre on March 19.
“This is the fourth and final event in the Grand Slam Tour and is the most prestigious tournament in Europe this season.”
- For more information on the event contact Henry Robson firstname.lastname@example.org