Colchester players to learn contract fate
A NUMBER of Colchester United players are set to find out today if they are to be offered a new contract or not.
Steven Gillespie, Matt Heath, David Perkins, Mark Cousins, Lee Beevers, Simon Hackney, Medy Elito, Sam Corcoran and Carl Pentney are all out-of-contract in the summer.
“I’ve got letters on my desk that will be passed on to players,” said Ward. “It’s not everybody that is out-of-contract that I’m speaking to, it’s just four or five at the moment.
“Some players have requested that they’d like to know what I’m thinking for next season and in some of those cases I’m responding to that. The way they react to it is their responsibility.”
Yesterday keeper Pentney and midfielder Corcoran were loaned out to Chelmsford (end of season) and Lowestoft (one month) respectively, while Elito (Cheltenham) and Hackney (Oxford United) are also out on loan.
You may also want to watch:
Club-record signing Gillespie has started scoring goals but is yet to prove his fitness, while Beevers has been in and out of the side during the second half of the season following a long-term injury.
Perkins has been a key player this season but has dropped out the side in recent weeks, Cousins has done superbly in goal when called upon for long spells this season, while Heath has produced his best form in a Colchester shirt this campaign.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
– Who do you think should get new deals? E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or comment below.