Heavy Showers

Heavy Showers

max temp: 3°C

min temp: 2°C

Kings of Anglia Issue 9 Magazine Offer

Colchester show their mettle with a fine victory over Diss in London One

PUBLISHED: 11:14 11 September 2017 | UPDATED: 12:33 11 September 2017

Scurm half Brett Cutbush races across the line for Colchester’s opening try. Photo: MAGGIE WHITEMAN

Scurm half Brett Cutbush races across the line for Colchester’s opening try. Photo: MAGGIE WHITEMAN


Colchester 38 Diss 14

Colchester’s line-out has improved significantly this season, -Liam Pickett steals Diss’ line-out. Photo: MAGGIE WHITEMANColchester’s line-out has improved significantly this season, -Liam Pickett steals Diss’ line-out. Photo: MAGGIE WHITEMAN

Colchester made it two wins on the bounce at the start of the new London 1 North season with a 38-14 win over Diss, writes Steve Whiteman.

The Mill Road side fielded the same team that finished their previous game, with the exception of centre George Liversidge in whose place started newcomer Shelford Meads a utility back recently arrived from New Zealand.

His impact on the game was immediate when, following a Diss kick-off, he broke through the defence and fed Brett Cutbush for a try that fly-half David Higgins converted.

Diss soon retaliated using their bulky forwards to probe the home defence, with No 8 Steve Hipwell in particular causing problems for the home defence. But the defence stood firm and the Blacks’ centres Meads and Dave Brennan often surged forward themselves ably supported by the back row. Full-back Will Brown caught the eye with his electric pace in attack and sound tackling in defence.

The game raged to and fro for the next 30 minutes during which prop Joe Reid was replaced by Jerone Awesu and flanker Danny Whiteman left the field when he was yellow carded by referee Andy Green. The impasse was broken when, following a successful Colchester scrum, the ball was moved to Meads to score his debut try and giving them a 14-0 lead.

Spurred into action, Diss attacked the home-line after their restart and flanker John Laurie crossed for a converted try.

Soon it was Colchester’s turn again when Brennan cut through the defence and fed Brown who sped through to claim his second try, making the half-time score 19-7.

Diss and Colchester get ready for a scrum. Picture: John GristDiss and Colchester get ready for a scrum. Picture: John Grist

Unfortunately, after the interval, Colchester were unable to realise their obvious potential making some basic errors. At one stage when they were close to Diss’ line a long pass was intercepted which nearly led to a try at the other end. Diss nearly scored again shortly after this but knocked the ball forward over the host’s line.

Their efforts were eventually rewarded when they moved the ball to right wing Fred Precious who improved their score to 19-14.

In the final quarter, Colchester seemed to come alive and right wing Harry Barton’s try attempt in the right corner was disallowed before he was successful in the left moments later. His fellow wing James Crozier converted and suddenly the Blacks tails were up leading 26-14.

From the restart Brown speedily charged 50 metres into the opposition half leaving the defence in his wake, off-loaded to Cutbush who put Crozier over for a brilliant converted try.

The full-back finished a virtuoso performance with another try in the dying moments of the game to claim a hat-trick and give Colchester a bonus point victory.

Andy Warren gives his observations following Ipswich Town’s hard-fought 1-0 victory at Portman Road this afternoon.

Paul Lambert always felt his first win as Ipswich manager would be a scruffy one, with the Scot proud of his players after they saw out seven minutes of stoppage time to secure three points against Wigan.

It wasn’t pretty, but Freddie Sears’ deflected goal was enough to secure Ipswich Town’s first home win since April this afternoon.

Ipswich Town beat Wigan Athletic 1-0 at Portman Road this afternoon. Relive the action here.

Ipswich Town fans have been giving their reactions to today’s 1-0 win over Wigan at Portman Road...

Andy Warren looks ahead to Ipswich Town’s clash with Wigan Athletic this afternoon.

Every day in the run-up to Christmas, we’re counting down Ipswich Town’s greatest-ever players, culminating in the Blues’ best featuring on Christmas Day.

In this week’s Ipswich Town nostalgia, we look back to December 21, 2004, when Darren Bent took Ipswich to the top of the Championsip on Christmas Day, after beating Wigan 2-1 thanks to his 89th-minute winner at Portman Road.

Captain Luke Chambers wants his Ipswich Town future sorted sooner rather than later but knows the club’s precarious position means he may have to be patient.

Most read

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24