Colchester & Tendring AC finally compete in Essex Schools Cross Country Race as rain dries up
- Credit: Archant
Colchester & Tendring AC were well represented at the Essex Schools Cross Country Championships, which had twice been cancelled due to waterlogged courses.
The event eventually got underway at Thundersley, near Benfleet, which boasted a mud-covered course compounded by terrible weather conditions.
It was therefore a real test of stamina, and character, for the young athletes.
The CATS competitors were running for North-East Essex, spearheaded by 14-year-old Joe Patterson, who had a terrific run in the intermediate boys’ race, finishing second to win a silver medal. Patterson has been in excellent form on the cross country circuit all winter.
Ben Miller ran well to finish 13th in the senior boys’ age group, while Joe Alexander had his best run to date, coming home fifth with William Deasy also working hard in sixth slot.
In the senior girls’ race, Ami Fosker was a battling 15th, and there were good runs from Sian Hicks and Hannah Banks.
In the junior/inter girls’ sections, Lydia Cullum produced a fine run in 12th position. Other runners who showed up well were Jess Riches, Mary Ann Deasy and Emily Donaghue.
- 1 Major west Suffolk road reopens after lorry and car crash
- 2 McGreal named interim boss as Cook's coaches all depart
- 3 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 4 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 5 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 6 Member of staff assaulted in armed robbery at west Suffolk Post Office
- 7 'It was unanimous... this season's not dead' - Ashton on why Town sacked Cook
- 8 Ashton on whether a new boss is lined up, the type of manager he's searching for, possible reunions and Town's timeframe for an appointment
- 9 Morsy on 'shock' of Cook sacking and McGreal's message
- 10 The best fossil hunting spots across East Anglia
Meanwhile, three members of Colchester & Tendring have been selected to run for Essex Schools at the English Schools Cross Country Championships, to be held on March 15.
The CATS’ trio of Joe Patterson, Joe Alexander and William Deasy will be toeing the start-line at Donington Park in Leicestershire for this prestigious annual event.