Colchester & Tendring AC finally compete in Essex Schools Cross Country Race as rain dries up
- Credit: Archant
Colchester & Tendring AC were well represented at the Essex Schools Cross Country Championships, which had twice been cancelled due to waterlogged courses.
The event eventually got underway at Thundersley, near Benfleet, which boasted a mud-covered course compounded by terrible weather conditions.
It was therefore a real test of stamina, and character, for the young athletes.
The CATS competitors were running for North-East Essex, spearheaded by 14-year-old Joe Patterson, who had a terrific run in the intermediate boys’ race, finishing second to win a silver medal. Patterson has been in excellent form on the cross country circuit all winter.
Ben Miller ran well to finish 13th in the senior boys’ age group, while Joe Alexander had his best run to date, coming home fifth with William Deasy also working hard in sixth slot.
You may also want to watch:
In the senior girls’ race, Ami Fosker was a battling 15th, and there were good runs from Sian Hicks and Hannah Banks.
In the junior/inter girls’ sections, Lydia Cullum produced a fine run in 12th position. Other runners who showed up well were Jess Riches, Mary Ann Deasy and Emily Donaghue.
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 4 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 5 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 6 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 7 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 8 'Our fund is $13 billion and we’re holding $700m in cash' - The money behind Ipswich Town's new owners
- 9 'I am delighted to be joining. There is a lot of hard work that lies ahead' - Town's new CEO Ashton confirmed
- 10 'It's time to embrace a new challenge' - New Ipswich chief announces Bristol City exit
Meanwhile, three members of Colchester & Tendring have been selected to run for Essex Schools at the English Schools Cross Country Championships, to be held on March 15.
The CATS’ trio of Joe Patterson, Joe Alexander and William Deasy will be toeing the start-line at Donington Park in Leicestershire for this prestigious annual event.