Colchester United’s Sammie Szmodics could be on his way to Bournemouth
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United attacker, Sammie Szmodics, could be on his way to Premier League club AFC Bournemouth for a fee believed to be in the region of £1m.
Szmodics was only an unused substitute during yesterday’s 4-1 home defeat to Cheltenham Town, despite being the U’s top scorer with 12 goals this season.
It has been reported that the U’s 22-year-old Academy product is on the brink of moving to the south coast to join the Cherries, with speculation that the fee could be as much as £1m.
Szmodics was always going to attract attention from bigger clubs, and the scouts have been rolling up to the Community Stadium in recent weeks to cast their eye over the attacking midfielder, who has also operated as a striker this term.
Colchester-born Szmodics has had to battle back from two serious ankle injuries and also a broken leg in the past two years, but he has been bang in form this season, helping the U’s into Two play-off contention.
You may also want to watch:
The current record transfer fee received by the U’s is £2.5m for Greg Halford (to Reading, in 2007), followed by the £2.25m for Lomana Lua Lua (to Newcastle, in 20000).
If Szmodics was to leave for Bournemouth for a fee close to £1m, then he would be third on that list.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 10 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema