Colchester United begin with trip to Hartlepool
Colchester United will travel to Hartlepool United on the opening day of the 2016-17 season.
The Football League published the new fixtures this morning, and the U’s have been given a long away trip to the north-east, to face Hartlepool on August 6.
The following weekend, John McGreal’s men have their first home match against Cambridge United (August 13), followed three days later by another home fixture, against newly-promoted Grimsby Town.
Over the festive period, the U’s have a short journey to Luton Town on Boxing Day, and they will be away at Stevenage on New Year’s Eve.
October will be a particularly taxing month, on the road, beginning with a trip to Carlisle on October 1, and ending with a daunting journey to Plymouth on October 29.
You may also want to watch:
Other long trips include a visit to Exeter City on January 21, followed two weeks later by a jaunt to the north-west coast at Blackpool.
The U’s will pay their first visit to Morecambe on Easter Monday, April 17, and their season will end with a home match against Yeovil on May 6.
- 1 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 2 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 5 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 6 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 9 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
Following relegation from League One last season, this will be the first time that the U’s have played in the fourth tier for 18 years, ever since Steve Wignall’s side clinched promotion via the play-offs in 1998.