Colchester United boss John McGreal gives his assessment on Kurtis Guthrie’s injury
Kurtis Guthrie was stretchered off late on during this afternoon’s 2-1 home win over Hartlepool United, a result which has kept Colchester United in the top seven.
After a goalless first half, the U’s took charge when leading scorer Guthrie headed home his 12th goal of the season in the 63rd minute.
Guthrie steamed in to head powerfully home from Richard Brindley’s precision cross from the right flank. It was a clinical finish.
And Guthrie was the creator of the U’s second goal, which arrived courtesy of Chris Porter’s penalty in the 78th minute.
Nathan Thomas halved the deficit in the 82nd minute, but the U’s held on, despite Guthrie suffering an ankle injury late on, which saw him stretchered off.
You may also want to watch:
“Kurtis is laid up in the physio room,” revealed McGreal after the final whistle.
“He’s gutted and he’s got a big ice pack on his ankle.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 4 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 5 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 6 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 9 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
“It’s an ankle injury and I guess he will end up having a scan as quickly as possible.
“It’s a contact injury, but it was a good tackle by their lad, there was nothing malicious in it.
“Kurtis is a tough guy, so when he does go down, you know that he is hurt.
“We will have to let the swelling go down first,” added McGreal.
Of today’s victory, McGreal said: “We made it difficult for ourselves, and it was a poor goal to concede to let them back in it.
“But I thought our performance was better in the second half overall,”