Colchester United boss Tony Humes rules out new additions
Colchester United boss, Tony Humes, has ruled out the possibility of dipping into the loan transfer market to bolster his leaky defence.
The U’s go into tomorrow night’s home game, against Port Vale, with the worst defensive record in the whole of the Football League, having conceded 27 goals in their first 13 league fixtures.
Having leaked four goals in the 4-2 defeat at Shrewsbury, the U’s let in five during last weekend’s 5-0 thrashing at Wigan.
But Humes explained: “I don’t think we can bring anyone else in, defensively-wise.
“We’ve got a budget, and we know where we are in terms of that.
You may also want to watch:
“If you’re missing three or four playeres through injury, you can’t do anything, you’ve got to just work with what you have got,” added Humes.
Full-backs Kane Vincent-Young and Richard Brindley are currently out injured, as is back-up defender Jamie Harney, while winger Gavin Massey (calf) and midfielder Owen Garvan (bad bruising) both missed the defeat at the DW Stadium.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 4 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 5 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 6 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 7 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 8 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 9 'It's powerful' - Harper on Town's use of sports psychology
- 10 Bill Turnbull announces leave from Classic FM show for health reasons
Massey looks set to sit out tomorrow night’s game as well, although Garvan has a chance of returning.