Colchester United boss Tony Humes so impressed with Ipswich Town loanee Elliott Hewitt
Colchester United boss, Tony Humes, was delighted with the performance of Elliott Hewitt on his U’s debut against Gillingham on Tuesday night.
Recruited just 24 hours earlier, on a one-month loan deal from Ipswich Town, Hewitt played the full 90 minutes at right-back against the Gills, in a Johnstone’s Paint Trophy second round tie.
The matched ended in a 3-3 draw, only for the U’s to lose the penalty shoot-out 4-2.
But Hewitt served up a man-of-the-match performance, and will now be looking to build on that display with his first league appearance for the U’s, at home to Fleetwood Town this Saturday.
Humes enthused: “Elliott (Hewitt) played ever so well. I’m delighted with the way he has already fitted into the squad.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s good for him to get first team, senior football.
“And everybody could see (on Tuesday night) why we brought him in,” added Humes.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 3 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 4 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 5 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 6 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 7 Hundreds of calls, fighting off interest, a health scare and a missing man - how Town signed match-winner Celina this summer
- 8 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 9 'Not enough thank yous in this world' - mum of baby saved by police
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
The versatile Hewitt, a 20-year-old Welshman, started his career at Macclesfield before signing for Ipswich in the summer of 2012.
He has so far made 14 league appearances for Town, the last as a substitute in the 2-0 home win over Rotherham on September 27.