Colchester United bow out of the FA Cup at Cardiff
Cardiff City 3 Colchester United 1
Colchester United bowed out of the FA Cup, at the third round stage, after suffering defeat at the hands of hosts Cardiff City tonight.
The Bluebirds were ahead at half-time, through Cole Kpekawa’s unfortunate own goal, and they were in the driving seat following further goals by Kadeem Harris and Kenwyne Jones, in the 53rd and 60th minutes respectively.
But the U’s did grab a consolation, via Freddie Sears’ 13th goal of the campaign on 74 minutes.
The game was played in front of the TV cameras (BBC Two Wales), though in front of a very sparse crowd.
You may also want to watch:
There was a huge slice of good fortune attached to Cardiff’s opening goal, which arrived in the 34th minute.
Joe Ralls’ rather hopeful strike, from 25 yards out, would probably have been easily saved by Sam Walker, but for two horrible deflections off two U’s defenders.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 3 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 5 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 6 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 7 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 8 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 9 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 10 Plans to build bungalow in pub garden refused after number of objections
Ralls’ effort clipped Kapsars Gorkss, and then ballooned off Kpekawa, on its way past a wrong-footed Walker.
Unlucky to be 1-0 down at the break, Tony Humes’ men conceded a killer second goal inside eight minutes of the second period.
Skipper Ben Turner headed towards goal and Harris reacted quicker than Sean Clohessy, connecting with an overhead kick which flew into the bottom corner of the net.
Target man Jones, on as a 59th minute substitute, scored with his very touch just 60 seconds later, heading home from Peter Whittingham’s corner.
But Colchester finished the game strongly, and Sears exchanged a one-two with substitute Sanchez Watt before firing home a low shot.
Sears, Sammie Szmodics and substitute Dion Sembie-Ferris also had late chances to set up an exciting finish, but the U’s could not find a second goal.
CARDIFF: Moore, Brayford, Turner, Connolly, John, Adeyemi, Noone (sub Da Silva, 85), Ralls, Whittingham (sub Le Fondre, 69), Harris, Macheda (sub Jones, 59). Unsued subs: Wilson, Manga, Bo-Kyung, Morrison.
COLCHESTER: Walker, Clohessy, Eastman, Gorkss, Kpekawa, Fox, Moncur (sub Lapslie, 64), Szmodics, Hewitt (sub Sembie-Ferris, 85), Sears, Massey (sub Watt, 61). Unused subs: Lewington, Eastmond, Bonne, Vincent-Young.
Referee: James Linnington (Isle of Wight)