Colchester United close to brink after conceding last ditch equaliser
Crewe Alexandra 1 Colchester United 1
Colchester United’s League One status is now hanging on a knife-edge, after they conceded an injury-time equaliser at Crewe tonight.
It had looked good for the U’s, when George Moncur kept his cool from the penalty spot.
Moncur had seen his first-half penalty saved by Peterborough keeper Ben Alnwick, during last weekend’s 4-1 home defeat, a result which had left the U’s with a mountain to climb.
But midfielder Moncur made no mistake this evening, sweeping home his 65th minute spot kick.
You may also want to watch:
The penalty was awarded for a foul on Frankie Kent, by opposing centre-half George Ray, and Moncur gave keeper Ben Garratt no chance with his cool finish.
It was a poor game, hardly surprising between the division’s bottom two clubs.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 3 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
But the U’s, who had begun the night nine points adrift of safety, would have cut that gap to six points, with three games remaining.
However, they were denied at the death as substitute Callum Saunders headed home from a 91st minute corner to peg them back to 1-1, and so deny them two points.
Kevin Keen’s men are therefore eight points adrift of safety, with three fixtures left.
CREWE: Garratt, Turton, Ray, Nugent, Guthrie, Ainley (sub Cooper 71), Jones, Fox, Bakayogo (sub Saunders, 56), Kirk, Haber (sub Udoh, 71). Unused subs: Richards, Davis, Bingham, Ng.
COLCHESTER: Parish, Edwards, Kent, Eastman, Shorey, Garvan, Gilbey, Bonne (sub Chambers, 90), Moncur (sub Brindley, 80) Massey, Porter. Unused subs: Barnes, Wright, Akinwande, Lapslie, Ambrose.
Referee: Scott Duncan (Northumberland)
Attendance: 3,094 (103 away fans)