Colchester United closing in on a new defender
Colchester United manager Tony Humes is hoping to bolster his squad with a new loan defender, possibly by tomorrow.
Humes has been looking to increase his options at full-back, following Elliott Hewitt’s return to Ipswich Town at the end of his loan spell.
The U’s boss is still some way off completing a deal, but a new recruit could be landed before this Friday night’s away game at Barnsley.
“There’s been no definite progress on getting in a new defender,” explained Humes this lunchtime.
“We are making a few enquiries, but nothing is finalised, though we are hopeful some one will come in tomorrow (Thursday).
You may also want to watch:
“It’s not definite, so we can’t really say anything until it’s all sorted.
“But I can confirm that it is a full-back we are looking at, and that is the only position we are really looking at.
- 1 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 2 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 3 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 4 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
- 5 Missing 66-year-old woman found in field after search
- 6 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 7 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 8 Major delays tail back on to A12 after crash
- 9 Number of schools with extra Covid precautions rises to 12
- 10 Haul of 20,000 suspected counterfeit DVDs seized in raid at Suffolk home
“We have not really got any injuries, other than Drey Wright, David Wright and Tosin Olufemi, so there are a lot of players in and around the squad, with under-21s to supplement it as well.
“So I’m really happy with that we’ve got, apart from getting in that one extra defender,” added Humes.
Meanwhile, the U’s FA Cup home tie against Peterborough United has been chosen as one of the televised games.
As a result, this second round tie will now take place on Sunday, December 7, with a 4.30pm kick-off, televised live by BT Sport.