Colchester United drawn at home to Posh, while Freddie Sears targets the third round
Colchester United have been drawn at home to fellow League One side Peterborough, following this evening’s FA Cup second round draw.
The U’s reward, for a satisfying 6-3 win at non-league Gosport Borough in round one, is a tough home clash against Posh, who are currently seventh in League One.
Posh have already won at the Community Stadium this season, beating the U’s 3-1 in what proved to be former manager Joe Dunne’s last game in charge.
Meanwhile Freddie Sears, a two-goal hero at Gosport, was delighted to get into the hat for the second round, and wants the U’s to continue into the third round, for a possible glamour draw.
“There is a buzz in the dressing room, after Sunday’s win, and we’ve all been looking forward to seeing who we would get in the draw,” revealed Sears.
“Get through the second round and we could have a chance of a big draw in the third round.
“Since I’ve been here, we had never got through the first round (until Sunday), but if we can win again (against Peterborough). then we get through to the third round.
- 1 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 2 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 3 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 4 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 5 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 6 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-1 win against Crewe
- 7 5 roadworks for Suffolk motorists to plan their journeys around this week
- 8 Truck overturns on wet, slippery road near Stowmarket
- 9 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 10 North Stander: We are where we deserve to be... and the play-offs look a long way off
“That would be fantastic for us, and fantastic for the club.
“If you get a big team in the third round, then who knows!” added Sears.
All the FA Cup second round ties are to be played on December 5, 6 and 7.