Colchester United inflict more woe on the Magpies
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United 2 Notts County 1
Colchester United made it three wins from their last four games, to inflict a sixth successive defeat on woeful Notts County at a foggy Weston Homes Community Stadium this afternoon.
The Magpies actually took the lead, with Elliott Hewitt nodding home against his old club (twice on loan at the U’s from Ipswich Town in 2014-15).
But Kurtis Guthrie headed home a 24th minute equaliser, before a 75th minute own goal by visiting defender Richard Duffy handed all three points to the U’s.
John McGreal’s men have therefore taken 10 points from a possible 12 in their last four fixtures, following recent wins over Cheltenham and Crewe, and last weekend’s goalless draw at Mansfield.
You may also want to watch:
The Magpies broke the deadlock in the 17th minute, via Hewitt’s close-range header.
Centre-half Duffy flicked on a corner by Carl Dickinson and fellow defender Hewitt ghosted in to head home from point blank range into the centre of the net.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 4 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 5 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 6 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
- 7 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 8 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 9 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 10 'It's powerful' - Harper on Town's use of sports psychology
But it took Colchester just seven minutes to find an equaliser.
Denny Johnstone did well to outwit his marker and deliver a superb low cross for Guthrie to head gleefully head home from close-in.
Guthrie did well to stoop low enough to bury the chance, so chalking up his fifth goal of the season.
It was actually a game of few scoring chances, but the U’s came up with the winner on 75 minutes.
Owen Garvan’s free-kick caused mayhem in the Magpies box. Tom Eastman helped the ball on into the danger area and the ball seemed to roll into the net off defender Duffy for an own goal, with Johnstone in close attendance.
COLCHESTER: Walker, Eastman, Kent, Elokobi, Brindley (sub Wright, 69), Lapslie, Garvan, Dickenson, Slater (sub Vincent-Young, 90+2), Guthrie, Johnstone (sub Bonne, 82). Unused subs: Barnes, Wynter, Doyley, Fosu.
NOTTS COUNTY: Collin, Tootle, Hewitt, Duffy, Audel, Dickinson, Richards (sub Campbell, 82), Milson, Thompson (sub Laing, 80), Stead, Forte (sub Oliver, 64). Unused subs: Loach, Smith, Collins, Hollis.
Referee: Ross Joyce (Cleveland)
Attendance: 3,385 (261 away fans)