Colchester United latest: one player leaves, while ex-skipper joins Hatters
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
Ben Gordon has left Colchester United, by mutual consent, while ex-U’s skipper Magnus Okuonghae has joined Luton Town.
The U’s returned to pre-season training today, at Five Lakes near Maldon, although much of the news surrounded former players.
Okuonghae, who missed the majority of last season with a ruptured Achilles tendon, saw out his contract this summer before becoming a free agent.
The 29-year-old, who enjoyed six good years with the U’s, today signed a two-year deal with League Two outfit Luton Town.
That means a reunion with manager John Still, who was the man who brought Okuonghae to his previous club Dagenham & Redbridge, from then-Conference club Crawley.
Meanwhile, left-back Gordon has been allowed to leave Colchester, after completing just one year of his two-year contract.
Gordon was recruited by former U’s boss Joe Dunne last summer, from Scottish club Ross County.
- 1 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 2 85 school children under 4 suspended in Suffolk
- 3 'Ipswich will be my club for the rest of my days' - Chambers on Town return
- 4 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 5 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 6 'Incredible' firefighters spend nearly 12 hours tackling forest blaze
- 7 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
- 8 Range Rover stolen from home in east Suffolk
- 9 North Stander: The early signs are very positive for Town
- 10 Thousands head to Helmingham car show
The 24-year-old did play 20 games for the U’s last term, but fell out of favour during the second half of the season, losing his place to Millwall loanee Matt Briggs.
Briggs has since signed permanently, so Gordon, with his chances limited with the U’s, will now be on the look-out for a new club.