Colchester United latest: one player leaves, while ex-skipper joins Hatters
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
Ben Gordon has left Colchester United, by mutual consent, while ex-U’s skipper Magnus Okuonghae has joined Luton Town.
The U’s returned to pre-season training today, at Five Lakes near Maldon, although much of the news surrounded former players.
Okuonghae, who missed the majority of last season with a ruptured Achilles tendon, saw out his contract this summer before becoming a free agent.
The 29-year-old, who enjoyed six good years with the U’s, today signed a two-year deal with League Two outfit Luton Town.
That means a reunion with manager John Still, who was the man who brought Okuonghae to his previous club Dagenham & Redbridge, from then-Conference club Crawley.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, left-back Gordon has been allowed to leave Colchester, after completing just one year of his two-year contract.
Gordon was recruited by former U’s boss Joe Dunne last summer, from Scottish club Ross County.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 3 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 4 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 5 Film crews begin shooting Amazon show in Suffolk village
- 6 Dog-friendly pub set to reopen in east Suffolk after major revamp
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 9 GP warns of 'Latitude effect' as cases rise among young people
- 10 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
The 24-year-old did play 20 games for the U’s last term, but fell out of favour during the second half of the season, losing his place to Millwall loanee Matt Briggs.
Briggs has since signed permanently, so Gordon, with his chances limited with the U’s, will now be on the look-out for a new club.