Colchester United legend Karl Duguid signs for Stanway Rovers
- Credit: Richard Blaxall
Colchester United legend Karl Duguid has signed for Thurlow Nunn Premier Division outfit Stanway Rovers.
The 36-year-old versatile utility player, who retired from the professional game at the end of last season, has signed a contract for the rest of the season at Stanway after leaving his role as a U’s youth-team coach earlier this month.
Duguid is one of Colchester’s top appearance-makers of all time having made more than 400 League appearances for the U’s, including a spell which saw him captain the side to promotion into the Championship in the 2005-2006 season.
The much-adored midfielder, who hinted at dusting off his boots again after leaving the Weston Homes Community Stadium a little over a week ago, is undoubtedly a coup signing for ambitious Step 5 non-league side Stanway Rovers, who currently sit in fifth position in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.
Duguid goes straight into boss Angelo Harrop’s first team-squad on Saturday as Rovers travel to Hertford Town in an eagerly-anticipated FA Vase First Round Proper tie.
You may also want to watch:
See tomorrow’s East Anglian Daily Times for more.
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 3 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 4 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 5 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 6 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 7 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 8 North Stander: Norwich will be back in Championship - can we join them?
- 9 Winners and losers: Hollywood ending, Bersant is back, fans get their wish
- 10 Five floating restaurants to visit in Suffolk