Colchester United manager Tony Humes’ big decision
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
Colchester United boss, Tony Humes, has a big decision to make at left-back for this Saturday’s trip to Shrewsbury Town.
The U’s will be looking to bounce back from last weekend’s 1-0 home defeat to Bury, but they will have to make do without regular left-back Matt Briggs.
Briggs serves a one-match suspension for accruing five bookings during the first 11 fixtures.
The experienced George Elokobi is the obvious choice as a replacement, especially as the 29-year-old played most of his career on the left-side of defence, before his switch to centre-half.
Elokobi has been a substitute in recent games.
You may also want to watch:
But Humes has other options, with the possibility of switching Tosin Olufemi from right-back to left-back, and dropping Joe Edwards back into right-back from his more familiar midfield role.
That could pave the way for Alex Gilbey’s return to the starting XI in midfield.
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 A12 closed following serious collision
- 4 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 5 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 6 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 7 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 8 Missing dad wanted in connection with assault which happened day before he disappeared
- 9 Air ambulance called to medical emergency
- 10 Plans to create 'Suffolk Silicon Fen' killed by market forces
“We will miss Matt (Briggs), but I have various options,” confirmed Humes, following today’s training session at Florence Park, Tiptree.
See tomorrow’s East Anglian Daily Times newspaper for a big interview with U’s midfielder Owen Garvan.