Colchester United relishing the prospect of hosting Manchester City
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
Colchester United might not have another home game for nearly three weeks, but their under-23s development side have a big game at the Weston Homes Community Stadium this evening (7pm kick-off).
The young U’s entertain the might of Manchester City’s under-23s set-up in a Premier League Cup Group C match.
Lead coach Wayne Brown’s side warmed up for this big meeting with City, by defeating Watford 4-0 in a Professional Development League win on Monday evening.
Tariq Issa, Macauley Bonne and Charley Edge and Femi Akinwande were all on target.
It was the U’s third league win on the bounce, following successes away at Charlton (2-1) and at Ipswich (3-2).
You may also want to watch:
In the Premier League Cup, they have so far won 1-0 at Hull City, and drawn 2-2 at home to Derby County.
Issa netted the only goal of the game in the victory at Hull, back at the start of October, while they rallied from 2-0 down against Derby to stay second in the group, with goals from Dion Sembie-Ferris and Cameron James. Derby had lost their previous game to Hull.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 3 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 4 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 5 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 6 'It could do us the world of good... it brings everyone down to earth with a little bit of a bump' - Cook on Millwall loss
- 7 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 10 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
Matt Briggs, on the comeback after a serious hip injury, is set to feature this evening.
The left-back is yet to play for the first team this season, but has been building up his fitness in training as well as outings for the under-23s.
Season ticket holders will enjoy free admission to tonight’s match.
After tonight’s match, the U’s have further Premier League Cup fixtures at home to Hull next Monday evening (January 23, 7pm), and away games at Manchester City (Sunday, February 12) and at Derby (Monday, February 27).