Colchester United’s four-goal stars
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
Macauley Bonne became the first Colchester United player to score four goals in a game for nine years, with his goal-spree at Wealdstone.
Front-runner Bonne celebrated four goals, as well as hitting a post and missing a great early chance, in last weekend’s 6-2 victory over the U’s National League South hosts, in an FA Cup first round tie.
You have to go back nine years, to November 28, 2006, to find the last U’s player to walk away with the match-ball following a four-goal cameo role – Chris Iwelumo.
Target man Iwelumo plundered four goals in a 5-1 home win over Hull City, who were ironically managed by former U’s boss Phil Parkinson.
That heavy defeat hastened the demise of Parkinson, as Hull boss, although of course he has gone on to enjoy a productive managerial career at Charlton and now Bradford.
You may also want to watch:
Jamie Cureton scored the other goal that evening, and it was Cureton who had been the last U’s player to net a hat-trick, before Bonne’s classy performance at Wealdstone – poacher Cuerton bagged all three goals in a 3-0 win at Essex rivals Southend United on April 6, 2007.
Here is a run-down of the U’s four-goal marksmen, since the club joined the Football League in 1950:
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 3 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 4 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 5 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 7 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 8 Exhausted farmers cool off the combines after gruelling harvest
- 9 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
1: NEIL LANGMAN – bagged four goals in a 7-1 victory at Yeovil in an FA Cup second round replay on December 11, 1958. The U’s won 7-1 and eventually went on to lose a fourth round replay at Arsenal.
2: BOBBY HUNT – scored four goals in the record-breaking 9-1 home win over Bradford on December 30, 1961.
3: MARTYN KING – the marksman also scored four goals in that 9-1 win over Bradford.
4: BOBBY HUNT – the U’s home-grown striker helped himself to his second four-goal haul of the 1961-62 season, in a 5-3 victory over Doncaster Rovers on the final day of the campaign.
5: BOBBY SVARC – scored all four goals in a 4-0 win at Chester on November 14, 1973.
6: ROY MCDONOUGH – the player-boss slammed home four in a 4-2 win at Slough on the second weekend of the U’s non-league promotion-winning double of 1991-92.
7: CHRIS IWELUMO – the big man netted four in the U’s 5-1 demolition of Phil Parkinson’s Hull City on November 28, 2006.
8: MACAULEY BONNE – the 20-year-old Academy product walked away with the match-ball after scoring four goals in last Saturday’s win at Wealdstone.