Colchester United’s long wait for a league win continues
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
Colchester United 1 Fleetwood Town 1
Colchester United’s long wait for a league victory goes on and on, after the relegation-threatened U’s were held to a home draw by lowly rivals Fleetwood Town tonight.
Alex Gilbey fired the U’s into a 38th minute lead, but Icelandic international Eggert Jonsson crashed home a second-half equaliser for the Cod Army.
The U’s have now not won a league game for three months, since a 2-1 home success over Port Vale on October 20.
They have also taken just two points from a possible 36, in their last 12 league games, with 10 defeats and two draws.
You may also want to watch:
Gilbey made the most of a mistake by rival midfielder Jonsson, to break the deadlock.
The U’s 21-year-old intercepted Jonsson’s mis-placed pass and advanced a few paces before rifling a low drive past keeper Chris Maxwell, from just outside the penalty area.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash
It was Gilbey’s first goal since the 2-2 draw against Blackpool on the opening day of the season, and his first in 27 appearances.
But Jonsson atoned for his first-half error by volleying Fleetwood back on level terms on the hour mark.
The home side failed to clear Jamie Proctor’s cross, but it was still a cracking finish by Jonsson, who crashed an unstoppable shot into the far corner of the net from a narrow angle.
COLCHESTER UNITED: Kean, Brindley, Wynter, Eastman, Briggs, Massey (sub Bonne, 75), Garvan, Gilbey, Moncur, Sordell, Porter (sub Lee, 78). Unused subs: Parish, Edwards, Elokobi, Wright, Ambrose.
FLEETWOOD TOWN: Maxwell, McLaughlin, Davis, Pond, Bell, Sarcevic, Jonsson, Ryan, Grant, Hunter (sub Matt, 59), Proctor (sub Haughton, 75). Unused subs: Gogic, Jordan, Nirennold, Forbes, Deacon.
Referee: Stuart Attwell (Warwickshire)
Attendance:2,493 (40 away fans)