Colchester United’s Sammie Szmodics has an ‘ongoing back issue’
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Sammie Szmodics and Kurtis Guthrie, two of Colchester United’s main attacking outlets, remain doubts for Saturday’s League Two home clash with basement dwellers Barnet.
Both leading scorer Szmodics and front-runner Guthrie missed out on last weekend’s disappointing 1-0 defeat at Crewe Alexandra, due to back and ankle problems respectively.
“Sammie has an ongoing back issue,” admitted U’s boss John McGreal during this lunchtime’s press conference at Florence Park, Tiptree.
“Kurtis also has an ongoing ankle injury, which we will continue to assess over the next 48 hours.”
But McGreal also revealed that midfielder Doug Loft had returned to training, after his troublesome calf injury, and that wing-back Kane Vincent-Young was available again after missing the Crewe trip with a sore hamstring.
The play-off chasing U’s are currently five points adrift of the top seven, with a dozen fixtures remaining.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 3 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 4 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 5 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 6 Hazel O'Connor's Sudbury shows cancelled due to 'serious medical incident'
- 7 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 8 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 9 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich
- 10 Woman jailed for harassing behaviour in Bury St Edmunds