Colchester United’s Sammie Szmodics reveals he has broken his leg
- Credit: Richard Blaxall / Pagepix
Luckless Sammie Szmodics suffered a broken leg during the opening minutes of Colchester United’s disappointing 2-0 defeat at Crewe yesterday.
Attacking midfielder Szmodics, who has had two ankle operations in the last 12 months, endured yet more injury heartbreak after his challenge on Crewe striker Chris Dagnall left him clutching his leg in pain near the touchline.
The 21-year-old stayed down after the tackle, which was deemed to be a foul by the U’s man, and he was eventually stretchered off to the changing room and then on to hospital.
After the match, U’s boss John McGreal revealed: “Sammie (Szmodics) has gone off to hospital as a precaution. His leg is in a brace, and he’s gone for an X-ray.”
And later last night, Szmodics confirmed: “I’m gutted to break my leg in today’s game. But I’ll be back stronger.”
You may also want to watch:
Yesterday was only Szmodics’ fourth appearance since his return from a three-month absence, following ankle surgery.
Dagnall scored both goals in Crewe’s win.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 4 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 5 Superstitious nonsense or serious business? - Change on the way as Ipswich Town play the numbers game
- 6 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 7 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 8 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 9 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards