Szmodics nominated for player of the month award
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Sammie Szmodics has deservedly been nominated for the Sky Bet League Two player of the month award for November.
Livewire Szmodics netted all three of Colchester United’s league goals over the last month, to help soften the blow of the U’s losing leading scorer Luke Norris to an ankle injury.
Attacking midfielder Szmodics, who has operated in the traditional No. 10 role behind the main target man this season, which has been primarily Norris but also replacement Frank Nouble or Mikael Mandron in recent games, has now bagged eight goals for the campaign.
The 23-year-old is on course to eclipse last season’s tally of 13 goals, which saw him end as the U’s top scorer.
Summer signing Norris took the early plaudits this term, banging home eight goals in 17 appearances for his new club (seven in 15 league games), before being stretchered off early on in the 1-0 home win over former club Swindon Town, on November 3.
You may also want to watch:
Szmodics has since taken up the mantle, boosting his tally to eight goals in 23 appearances (seven in 18 league outings) to keep the U’s automatic promotion bid on track.
Colchester-born Szmodics, a product of the U’s Academy, netted the winner in the 1-0 victory over Swindon at the start of last month, before also scoring in the 1-1 home draw against Exeter and then bagging the winner in a 1-0 victory at Forest Green Rovers in the last fixture, a week ago.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 3 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 4 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 5 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 6 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 7 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 8 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 9 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 10 Why are 3,500 homes stood empty in Suffolk?
In essence, then, Szmodics’ three goals during November – Harry Pell was the only other U’s player to score last month, in a Checkatrade Trophy defeat at Cambridge United – have earned John McGreal’s men seven precious points.
Szmodics has been nominated along with three other League Two players for the prestigious award.
Carlisle United midfielder, Jamie Devitt, is on the list following four goals in November, as is MK Dons’ experienced wing-back, Dean Lewington, who helped the Dons to keep three clean-sheets and also claimed two assists last month.
Bury’s Jay O’Shea completes the quartet of nominees, following a superb November which featured four goals and two assists.
The U’s entertain bottom club Macclesfield Town this Saturday.