Colchester United’s top 10 quotes of the 2013-14 season
- Credit: Su Anderson
The dust has now settled on Colchester United’s 2013-14 season, but here’s a run-down of the top 10 quotes from the U’s dressing room during the course of the campaign.
1 “I’m aiming for double figures this season” – says Gavin Massey after scoring the winner in the first home game of the season, a 1-0 success over Port Vale. He ends up scoring three goals.
2 “No one likes to make mistakes, and when you make one as a goalkeeper, quite often it ends up in the goal” – admits Sam Walker after his error at Sheffield United allows the Blades to secure a 1-1 draw.
3 “Kem’s are big boots to fill as captain. He did a great job, but I’m happy to be taking it on” – explains new club skipper Brian Wilson after Kem Izzet leaves the club by mutual consent at the start of September.
4 “It felt like I had scored the winner, and I know we celebrated like we had won” – West Ham loanee Elliot Lee after his last gasp equaliser at Rotherham.
You may also want to watch:
5 “I’d like to think that Ipswich Town’s loss, is my gain” – Macauley Bonne, ex Town schoolboy, following his spell of three goals in just six appearances.
6 “That’s not good enough, and we all apologise to the fans” – Magnus Okuonghae after a humiliating 4-0 home defeat to lowly Notts County.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 3 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 4 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 5 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 6 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 7 Five floating restaurants to visit in Suffolk
- 8 North Stander: Norwich will be back in Championship - can we join them?
- 9 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
7 “I just love games like that!” – U’s keeper Sam Walker after his wonderful man-of-the-match display in a goalless draw at MK Dons on New Year’s Day.
8 “I’m not going to defend Sanchez. It’s something that you can’t do on the football pitch” – Joe Dunne after Sanchez Watt’s sending-off in a goalless draw at a wet and very windy Swindon in February.
9 “At times we were magnificent today. It would just be nice to see more of it!” – Joe Dunne after the crucial 4-1 home win over Brentford.
10 “I was a little bit emotional at the end” – Karl Duguid after he makes his last ever appearance for the U’s, on the final day at Walsall