Colchester United snap up striker Marvin Sordell
- Credit: Andrew Partridge
Colchester United have today snapped up experienced striker Marvin Sordell, from Burnley, until the end of the season, on a free transfer.
Sordell trained with his new U’s team-mates for the first time this morning, and is expected to go straight into the starting line-up for Saturday’s away game at Chesterfield.
Front-runner Sordell, a natural goalscorer, learnt his trade at Watford, between 2008 and 2012, before moving on to Burnley.
The 24-year-old played in the Premier League with the Clarets last season.
“We have finally managed to find the striker that we have been looking for,” enthused manager Tony Humes this lunchtime.
You may also want to watch:
“I think it’s a real coup for the club, because he was playing in the Premier League last season and was in their squad in the Championship for the first few weeks of this season.
“He’s a natural goalscorer,” added Humes.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 3 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 4 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 5 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 8 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 9 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 10 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
Sordell himself said: “I’ve come to Colchester, because I just want to play football really.
“There’s not a lot more in it than that. I want to come here and enjoy playing football.”
London-born Sordell, who was a team-mate of U’s winger Gavin Massey while at Watford, and also a team-mate of fellow U’s winger Callum Harriott when on loan at Charlton, played 14 games in the Premier League for Burnley last season.
He has also played for England Under-19s and Under-21s – he played for the Under-21s against Iceland at the Weston Homes Community Stadium – and made three appearances for the GB team at the 2012 Olympics.