Colchester United striker Rhys Healey out for up to six weeks
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United loan striker, Rhys Healey, will be out of action for the next few weeks, after undergoing an emergency operation to remove his appendix.
Cardiff City loanee Healey was a notable absentee from the U’s 18-man squad for Saturday’s crucial 2-0 win over relegation rivals Leyton Orient.
“Rhys went off to get some dental work done earlier in the week, but unfortunately he ended up having to have an emergency operation on a burst appendix,” revealed manager Tony Humes.
“So Rhys will be out for the next month to six weeks, I’d say.
“But at least we have strength in depth, having brought in Jack Marriott, and there’s also Macauley Bonne and Sanchez Watt, who I didn’t call upon on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
“And Gavin Massey can also play up front, so we have enough players in there to make sure that we have that strength in depth.”
Massey scored the opener in Saturday’s win over the O’s, sweeping home his sixth goal of the season, before Kaspars Gorkss headed home the second early in the second half.
- 1 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 2 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 5 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 6 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 9 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 10 'They have big dreams... we're in great hands' - Town favourite Yallop on his links to new US owners
Defender Alex Wynter was another to miss out on Saturday’s terrific display against the O’s.
Humes explained: “Alex was ill. He came in on Thursday, but he was feeling ill so he couldn’t be involved.”
The U’s next match is away at Bradford City this Saturday.