Colchester United suffer another damaging defeat
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
Colchester United 0 Notts County 1
Colchester United suffered a damaging defeat, at the hands of fellow strugglers Notts County at a three-quarters empty Weston Homes Community Stadium tonight.
The Magpies had lost six of their previous seven matches, but they were good value for the three points against a dreadfully disappointing Us side.
Paddy McCourt struck with the winner in the 68th minute, diving full length to direct home a pinpoint header from Jamal Campbell-Ryce’s teasing cross.
The relegation-threatened U’s flattered to deceive all night, although they did improve after a very lack-lustre first-half display.
You may also want to watch:
With 10 minutes remaining, the U’s almost sneaked an equaliser. Macauley Bonne’s goal-bound shot, from the edge of the box, was cleared off the goal-line by Adams.
But it was not to be for the U’s.
- 1 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 2 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 3 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 4 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 5 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 6 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 7 Evans on Town's 'powerful' mantra, not shying away from favourites tag and working under Cook again
- 8 New plans for village cafe, shop and business units divide opinion
- 9 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
COLCHESTER: Walker, Wynter, Osborne, Eastman, Briggs, Szmodics (sub Healey, 75), Gilbey, Moncur (sub Fox, 75), Massey, Bonne (sub Marriott, 82), Porter. Unused subs: Lewington, Lawrence, Sembie-Ferris, Hewitt.
NOTTS COUNTY: Carroll, Mullins, Edwards, Hollis, Adams, Campbell-Ryce, Jones (sub Lita, 62), Noble, C Thompson, McCourt (sub Hayhurst, 82), G Thompson (sub Bajner, 82). Unused subs: Pilkington, Smith, Wroe, Newton.
Referee: C Berry (Surrey)