U’s suffer first away league defeat of the season
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Stevenage 3 Colchester United 1
Colchester United took an early lead at Stevenage this afternoon, but ended up on the wrong end of a 3-1 scoreline at Broadhall Way in a top-seven clash.
It was the U’s first away defeat of the season.
The U’s enjoyed the perfect start, Sammie Szmodics celebrating his third goal of the season after just two minutes.
Ryan Jackson provided the cross from the right for Szmodics to slot home from close-in.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors tried to add to their tally, and Szmodics had another effort blocked in the sixth minute, following Luke Norris’ lay-off.
Norris was close to doubling the lead in the 13th minute, but his well-struck shot dipped just over the bar.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 3 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 4 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 5 Film crews begin shooting Amazon show in Suffolk village
- 6 Dog-friendly pub set to reopen in east Suffolk after major revamp
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 9 GP warns of 'Latitude effect' as cases rise among young people
- 10 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
The Boro equalised before half-time, former U’s striker Kurtis Guthrie turning home from close range following Cuthbert’s header on from a corner. Guthrie was booked for his over-the-top celebrations.
The game looked to be heading towards a draw, until substitute Brennan Dickenson fouled Sam Seddon in the box, enabling Ben Kennedy to dispatch the ensuing 78th minute penalty.
And Stevenage made the game safe in the 83rd minute with a breakaway goal, Emmanuel Sonupe steering home from Guthrie’s lay-off.
The U’s had chances in stoppage-time, with Norris bending a free-kick narrowly over the bar and Dickenson also firing over in the 96th minute.
COLCHESTER: Barnes, Jackson, Eastman, Prosser, Vincent-Young, Lapslie, Pell, Senior (sub Dickenson, 77), Szmodics (sub Collins, 88), Nouble, Norris. Unused subs: Gilmartin, Kent, Comley, Wright, Mandron.