Colchester United Under-23s bow out of Premier League Cup at the hands of Portsmouth
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Portsmouth U-23s 2 Colchester United U-23 0
Colchester United Under-23s’ fine run in the Premier League Cup ended at the quarter-final stage with a narrow 2-0 defeat away to Portsmouth tonight.
This last-eight tie was played at Westleigh Park, the home of Ryman Premier promotion contenders Havant & Waterlooville, and the U’s were on level terms at the break until conceding in the second half.
Wayne Brown’s side had impressed in advancing through the group stages, following a good set of results against Manchester City, Hull City and Derby, before winning 1-0 away at Sunderland in the last 16.
And the visitors had the best chance to break the deadlock, from the penalty spot, in what was a goalless first period.
You may also want to watch:
Tariq Issa’s 38th minute penalty was saved by Pompey keeper Liam O’Brien, who dived to his left.
Pompey took the lead in the 52nd minute. Nicke Kabamba controlled Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain’s header before slotting past Dillon Barnes.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 3 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 4 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 5 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 7 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 8 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 'Not enough thank yous in this world' - mum of baby saved by police
The U’s could not fashion an equaliser, and Pompey doubled their lead late on, substitute Jamal Lowe racing down the left and cutting inside to beat Barnes from a tight angle, on 84 minutes.
However, this had still been a superb effort from the Essex club’s Academy’s products in the competition this season.
Colchester U-23s: Barnes, Vincent-Young, Peter, Kensdale, Kinsella, Diaz Wright, Howard, Issa, Dunne, Edge, McKeown. Subs: Wilson, Keys, Brown, Jones.