Colchester United Under-23s topple visiting Manchester City
Colchester United U-23s 2 Manchester City U-23s 1
A crowd of nearly 1,000 watched Colchester United Under-23s record a notable victory over their Manchester City counterparts in a Premier League Cup Group C match at the Weston Homes Community Stadium this evening.
Early goals from experienced left-back Matt Briggs, on the comeback trail after a long-term hip problem, and centre-half Dexter Peter put the U’s 2-0 up, in front of a crowd of 972.
And although lead coach Wayne Brown’s side saw their lead halved by Paolo Fernandes just after the half-hour mark, the U’s held on to secure three points.
This was the U’s third fixture in this competition, following on from a 1-0 win at Hull and a 2-2 draw against Derby.
You may also want to watch:
The U’s began in blistering fashion, creating numerous chances before eventually powering into a 2-0 lead inside the first 20 minutes.
Keeper Kjetil Haug saved well from Charley Edge on nine minutes, following good work by Briggs, and 60 seconds later Brendan Ocran’s cross was diverted narrowly wide by Louis Dunne.
- 1 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 3 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 4 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 5 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 6 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 7 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 10 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening
The breakthrough arrived shortly afterwards, in the 11th minute, Briggs hitting the target with a crisp low volley from Edge’s corner, the ball sneaking under keeper Haug.
Briggs and Tariq Issa then both went close, from distance, before Peter doubled the U’s lead in the 18th minute.
Defender Peter rifled home from a corner routine, after being teed up by George Brown.
Edge had enjoyed a fine first half-hour, and he capped a strong run with a shot that ballooned over the bar from long-range on 29 minutes.
But City halved the deficit in the 31st minute, with front-runner Fernandes burying a shot at the third attempt, after his first two efforts were well blocked by the U’s.
Two minutes later and Macauley Bonne carved out a chance for himself, although he fired straight at Haug at his near post.
Chances were more restricted during the second half, as City searched for an equaliser.
Striker Denzeil Boadu smashed over from just 10 yards out in the 58th minute, while 10 minutes later and Charlie Oliver curled an effort over the top.
In a rare U’s second-half attack, Peter headed off target from Diaz Wright’s delivery from a free-kick on 80 minutes.
COLCHESTER UNITED U-23s: Williams, Ocran, Peter, James, Briggs (sub Wilson, 90+2), Diaz Wright, Edge, Brown, Dunne, Issa, Bonne (sub Akinwande, 46). Unused subs: Phillips, Pollard, McKeown.
MANCHESTER CITY U-23s: Haug, Bullock, Oliver, Humphreys, Sarmiento, Patching, Bolton, Kongolo, Hardy, Boadu, Fernandes. Subs: Rosler, Grimshaw, La Rosa, Poveda, Nemane.
Referee: Mr D Rock