Colchester United v Carlisle United, nostalgia: Tony English bags brace in U’s win from 24 years ago
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United reporter, Carl Marston, recalls a U’s 2-1 home win over Carlisle United from 24 years ago, on November 27, 1993:
Roy McDonough’s Colchester team, in their second season back in the Football League, ended a run of five straight defeats with this welcome Saturday success over the Cumbrians at Layer Road, in front of a crowd of 2,316.
Tony English was the star-man, bagging a brace, the second of these goals arriving in the nick of time.
The home side suffered a double setback at the start of the afternoon.
First choice keeper John Keeley was ruled out with a suspected broken ankle, having tumbled down the stairs at his Canvey Island home on the morning of the match.
And Rod Thomas then fired Carlisle into a fifth minute lead via a long-range shot past deputy keeper Nathan Munson.
Back-up keeper Munson was making only his third appearance in the Football League.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 3 'Ipswich did so much for me' - Knight excited for Town return with Crewe after dream Manchester City move
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 5 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 6 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 7 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143
- 8 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 9 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 10 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
But English came to his side’s rescue, firstly by heading home a 43rd minute equaliser, after Roy McDonough’s initial effort had thudded back off the bar.
Up against former West Ham keeper Mervyn Day, the U’s searched for a second-half winner and it finally arrived in the 88th minute. Steve Ball (current U’s assistant manager) saw his free-kick blocked, but English was on hand to ram home the loose ball.
U’s team (November 27, 1993): Munson, Betts, Roberts Kinsella, English, Cawley, Ball, Brown, McDonough, McGavin, Smith. Subs: Abrahams, Richardson & Schultz.