Colchester United v Cheltenham Town: big match preview
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Colchester United boss, John McGreal, has some tricky selection choices to make ahead of this afternoon’s visit of 17th-placed Cheltenham.
After a run of four matches with an unchanged team, McGreal freshened up his starting line-up for the 0-0 home draw against Cambridge on New Year’s Day.
Midfielder Brandon Comley and left-sided specialist Kyel Reid were dropped to the bench, with Cole Kpewaka and Sean Murray coming in for rare starts. The system was also changed from a 4-3-3 formation to three-at-the-back.
McGreal might be tempted to return to his previous regular starting line-up, by recalling Reid and Comley today.
Striker Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe, recruited from Maldon & Tiptree on an 18-month deal this week, could be amongst the substitutes, although fellow new signing Ryan Gondoh, also from the Jammers, will probably be blooded with the under-23s.
You may also want to watch:
Defender Ryan Inniss is still out with a sore shoulder, although midfielder Doug Loft has resumed training after his shoulder injury.
Cheltenham could include new signings Sanmi Odelusi and Manny Onariase in their match-day squad.
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 4 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 5 Family's tribute to 'always smiling' Jack after tragic death aged 27
- 6 Missing dad wanted in connection with assault which happened day before he disappeared
- 7 Plans to create 'Suffolk Silicon Fen' killed by market forces
- 8 Air ambulance called to medical emergency
- 9 A12 closed following serious collision
- 10 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
Defender Onariase played 24 games on loan for the Robins from Brentford last season, before signing on loan for Rotherham last summer.
The 21-year-old former West Ham Academy player has yet to make his Millers league debut, and so has been loaned to Cheltenham for the rest of this season.
Odelusi, whose Colchester contract ended on December 31, might be on the bench against his old club.
Another former U’s striker, Dan Holman, has been loaned by Cheltenham to Leyton Orient, after spending the first half of this season on loan at another National League club, Boreham Wood.
COLCHESTER: Walker, Jackson, Eastman, Kent, Vincent-Young, Comley, Lapslie, Reid, Wright, Mandron, Szmodics, Kpewaka, Murray, Hanlan, Guthrie, James, Ogedi-Uzowke, Loft & Gilmartin.
CHELTENHAM: Flinders, Moore, Grimes, Boyle, Winchester, Dawson, Morrell, Atangana, Storer, Eisa, Graham, Wright, Odelusi, Onariase, Sellars, Bower, Hinds, Pell, Lloyd & Lovett.
Referee: Scott Oldham (Lancashire)