Colchester United v Yeovil Town, nostalgia: Jermaine Easter nets on home debut
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United writer Carl Marston recalls a goal-scoring home debut for a U’s striker during a 1-0 win over Yeovil Town from a midweek fixture on November 25, 2008.
Jermaine Easter crowned his U’s home debut with the only goal of the game to sink the Glovers at the Weston Homes Community Stadium, more than nine years ago.
This was the U’s first season back in League One, after their two years in the Championship, and also their first campaign at their new ground.
In fact, this was only the U’s second-ever win at the Community Stadium, from 10 starts – Geraint Williams’ men had certainly struggled to adapt to their new surroundings during the first four months of the season.
Man of the moment Easter conjured up his deadly finish in the 54th minute, making it a night to remember for the Plymouth Argyle loanee striker.
You may also want to watch:
Fellow front-runner Clive Platt nodded down midfielder David Perkins’ swirling cross, and there was Easter to gleefully hook home the ball from 10 yards out.
It capped an impressive evening for Easter, although the crowd of just 3,214 that turned up to watch it was a disappointing figure.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 3 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 4 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 5 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 6 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 7 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 8 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
- 9 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 10 Gameday: 'Lots of work to do' - Town fans on Millwall defeat
In the build-up to the game, skipper Chris Coyne had called on the U’s “to win ugly,” and that’s just what they did. It certainly wasn’t pretty, Coyne playing his part in defence.
U’s squad (v Yeovil, Nov 25, 2008): Gerken, Ifil (sub Reid, 46), Baldwin, Coyne, Jackson, Yeates, Hammond, Izzet (sub Wordsworth, 46), Perkins, Platt (sub Vernon, 66), Easter. Unused subs: Cousins, Wasiu.