Cole Skuse relieved as his Ipswich Town teammates get him off the hook
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Cole Skuse was relieved his Ipswich teammates got him off the hook, as the Blues recorded a 16th straight Tuesday night victory against Reading.
After Ryan Fraser had given the hosts the lead with a 57th-minute goal, which brought a scrappy game to life, Skuse was penalised for a trip on Hal Robson-Kanu which allowed Garath McCleary to level from the spot.
While Skuse could understand why referee Tim Robinson pointed to the spot, he believes he got the ball, but was more pleased his error didn’t cost his side as Brett Pitman fired home the winner with a minute to go.
“It’s not the first time this season we’ve left it late, but the three subs who came on all made the difference and they dug us and myself out of a hole,” he said.
“I thought I took the ball but then again it was a silly tackle, I didn’t need to go to ground to make the tackle. I don’t think it was a pen but I can understand why the ref gave it and I have no arguments.
You may also want to watch:
“Pits came on and did his hardest to miss as he crashed it off the post, but it meant we got three points.”
In a game which struggled to ever spring into life, Skuse insisted his side deserved the win on balance.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 5 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 6 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 7 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
- 8 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 9 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 10 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
He said: “It was a typical Championship game really, they are a decent side maybe in a false position for the squad they’ve got, but on the balance of things I think we edged it and deserved the three points.”