Complaint lodged after referee allegedly blew up early

FRAMLINGHAM Town have made an official complaint to the Kingsley Healthcare SIL after referee Ivan Powell allegedly blew for full time several minutes early in their 2-1 defeat at home to Leiston St Margarets.

Fiona Watling, secretary of Framlingham Town, confirmed that they had made a formal complaint to the SIL following last Saturday’s match at Badingham Road.

Framlingham Town manager Mel Aldis claimed: “They scored with five minutes to go plus stoppage time, and no sooner had we kicked off than the referee blew his whistle.

“Games kick off at 2.30pm, and allowing 15 minutes for half time do not finish until 4.15pm at the earliest. By my watch we started the second half at 3.31pm and it finished at 4.11pm.

“There had been five substitutions in the second half and an injury to a Leiston player, which held the game up, so there should have been a minimum of three minutes added time.

You may also want to watch:

“I admit we were awarded a controversial penalty in the game, but time added on is an issue which he could have rectified even after blowing the final whistle.

“The referee said he had played 45 minutes exactly, but myself and our supporters were left gobsmacked.”

Most Read

Chris Wright, manager of Leiston St Margarets, claimed: “This is the first I have heard of this. As far as I am aware the referee played the full 90 minutes.”

Mick Branthorpe, who was covering the match for the Evening Star, reported that after the visitors’ 85th minute goal: “Within a minute the referee blew for time despite vain protests from Fram manager Mel Aldis and his assistants which was a disappointing end to what had been a well-fought game.”

Keith Norton, chairman of the SIL, said: “Until such time as we have made contact with all parties it would not be right for me to make any comment.”

Referee Ivan Powell, who is from the Lowestoft area, also declined to comment in the light of a formal complaint having been made.

Framlingham, who tomorrow travel to Achilles, will have Gavin Crane available after signing the striker who has previously played for several Ridgeons League clubs.

Cranes new management duo of Justin Middlemiss and Iain Radnor, boosted by their 1-0 win against Achilles last weekend that lifted them off the foot of the table, tomorrow travel to Stanton, who are two points and two places above them.

Wickham Market boss Steve Cook has resigned in the wake of their 6-0 defeat at home to reigning champions Grundisburgh last Saturday. His assistant, Fred Crowfoot, will be in charge for the next couple of weeks, starting at East Bergholt United tomorrow.

Meanwhile, The SIL will be away to the Somerset County League in the last 16 of the FA Inter League Cup. The Somerset County League beat the Hampshire Premier League 5-1 at Bridgwater Town FC. The date has yet to be arranged.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus