Confident Chris Wood ready to ‘do damage’ in the Championship again
Confident striker Chris Wood is ready to do some damage for Ipswich Town at the business end of the season.
The burly 23-year-old, who joined on loan from Leicester City last week, came on for the final 11 minutes of Sunday’s 2-0 defeat at Norwich City and is set to play an even bigger role in tonight’s Championship match at Leeds United.
The New Zealand international has scored 36 goals at second tier level and faces an uncertain future after dropping down the Foxes’ pecking order following their promotion to the top-flight.
“It’s been very frustrating,” said Wood, who – with one year left on his deal – has made just seven substitute appearances for Leicester in the league this season.
“All footballers want to be playing, but it’s one of those things – sometimes clubs want to go out and buy a Premier League striker after promotion.
You may also want to watch:
“I haven’t really had a chance this season, but hopefully one day I will get that chance in the Premier League. I think I can be a Premier League striker. I have every confidence in myself.”
The former West Brom player, who had loan spells with Barnsley, Brighton, Birmingham, Bristol City and Millwall before a £2m switch to The King Power Stadium, continued: “I want to make my presence felt, do some damage and score some goals for the team.
- 1 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 2 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 3 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 4 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 5 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 6 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 7 'Managers don't get enough credit' - Walton delighted as Town deliver big win for boss Cook at Pompey
- 8 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 9 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 10 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
“I’ve come here to help Ipswich. That’s all I’m focusing on.
“My future is up in the air, but I’m just focusing on the next 12 to 14 games and working hard for the team.
“I’m pretty happy with what I’ve done in the Championship so far, but I know I have to keep proving myself everywhere I go.
“It was great to be wanted by the gaffer here. I’m ready and raring to go.”
Blues boss Mick McCarthy said: “I know he only came on for 10 minutes but I thought he (Wood) was a proper handful on Sunday. He’s a proper player.
“Wow, if we had tried to sign him we would have had to pay what – three, four, five million for him? I guess that’s the kind of dough he’d command.
“He’s been excellent in training and is good to go.”