Controversial extra-time winner denies Bury Town in Suffolk Premier Cup semi-final with Lowestoft Town

Suffolk FA Premier Cup Semi Final.
Bury Town FC v Lowestoft Town.
Lowestoft score their winning go

Suffolk FA Premier Cup Semi Final. Bury Town FC v Lowestoft Town. Lowestoft score their winning goal. - Credit: Archant

Ten-man Bury Town were controversially defeated in extra-time as Lowestoft Town progressed to the final of the Suffolk Premier Cup, at Needham Market, on Tuesday night.

Defender Michael Spillane headed home a near post corner late in the second period of extra-time – a goal that left the Bury bench fuming as they claimed the ball had gone out for a goal kick.

The Blues, who twice equalised through Josh Mayhew and Ollie Canfer, had Remi Garrett dismissed in the first period of extra -time, after reacting to a challenge from Chris Henderson.

Lowestoft had taken the lead early in the second half when Connor Deeks headed home a Joe Marsden centre, before Henderson converted Luke Garrod’s cross to give the Trawlerboys the lead in extra time.

Lowestoft created the better openings of a dour first half, Spillane twice going close with headers.

You may also want to watch:

Bury’s best chance came two minutes before the break, Lowestoft full-back Joe Marsden getting a touch to take the ball off Noel Aitkens’ foot as the winger looked set to convert Garrett’s low cross along the six yard box.

The last action of the half saw Deeks rattle a post from range, the rebound being fired over by Ryan Jarvis.

Most Read

The Blues started the second half with more purpose and captain Phil Weavers almost put them in front within a minute of the restart, the defender lashing a vicious volley just over the bar after the Trawlerboys’ defence had failed to deal with a dangerous Darcy De’Ath throw.

Bury were by far the better side in the opening exchanges of the second period and Lowestoft goalkeeper Elvis Putjins spilled half-time substitute Ollie Hughes’ shot over the bar.

Canfer was next to test the Trawlerboys’ stopper, his fierce effort again being parried by the goalkeeper, who looked a little nervy.

Bury’s early pressure came to nothing though and they were punished as the Trawlerboys took the lead on the hour. Marsden was set free down the right flank and he powered over a cross that was headed emphatically into the net by Deeks.

Left-back Robert Eagle then had a chance to double Lowestoft’s lead, but lacked composure in front of goal as he shot over from a tight angle.

That miss came back to haunt the defender as two minutes later, the Blues were deservedly level.

De’Ath’s throws had caused concern for Lowestoft all night, and when his latest effort was flicked on, Mayhew nodded home the equaliser.

The game swung from end to end after the goal, with Bury squandering a golden chance to take the lead on 80 minutes, Connor Hall failing to get sufficient contact on Garrett’s cross to beat Putjins.

Two minutes later, Spillane crashed a fierce volley against the underside of the bar at the back post.

Into extra-time and Lowestoft took the lead in the 94th minute with a superb, clean strike from Henderson, the winger firing a curling shot into the far corner after good wing work by substitute Luke Garrod.

But Bury equalised again eight minutes later, Canfer finishing clinically after appeals for a penalty had been turned down, Hughes being felled in the box.

The Blues were dealt a blow moments later when Garrett reacted angrily to a challenge from Henderson and the referee issued him with a straight red card.

Mayhew went close to giving his side the lead in the second half of extra time, but his shot was saved.

Disaster struck for Bury moments later and manager Ben Chenery felt highly aggrieved.

The ball looked to have gone out for a goal kick, even the Lowestoft players failed to appeal for a corner, but from the resultant set-piece, Spillane finally made sure with his fourth attempt of the night, crashing home a header at the near post from Eagle’s inswinger, with seven minutes to go.

Mayhew then squandered another effort, volleying over after being set clear, leaving Lowestoft to ponder a Premier Cup final encounter with Leiston.

Bury Town: O’Sullivan, White, Wigley (Hammett, 115), Kennedy, De’Ath, Weavers, Garrett, Hall, Mayhew, Canfer, Aitkens (Hughes, 46). Subs not used: Collins, Reed.

Lowestoft Town: Putjins, Marsden (Barker, 103) , Eagle, Fisk, Spillane, Kyprianou, Mason (Garrod, 75), Deeks, Crow, Jarvis, Henderson. Subs not used: Bammant, Solomon, Swatmann.

Attendance: 247

Referee: Alan Dale

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus