Counago joins Malaga
TOWN'S highest earner Pablo Counago has a new club, writes David Vincent. The striker couldn't get in the starting line-up last season under Joe Royle.
TOWN'S highest earner Pablo Counago has a new club, writes David Vincent.
The striker couldn't get in the starting line-up last season under Joe Royle. He is now a free agent and has agreed a two-year deal with Malaga in the Primera Liga in his native Spain.
He arrived on a Bosman free transfer from Celta Vigo four years ago but last season Royle preferred Shefki Kuqi and Bent as a pair and criticised the Spaniard's fitness and attitude.
Counago will still have plenty of encouragement from English voices when he makes his Malaga debut next month. A large percentage of the club's season ticket holders is made up of ex-pats now living on the Costa del Sol.
You may also want to watch:
Malaga looked relegation candidates for the first half of last season but then produced an amazing run which lifted them to a finishing position of 10th.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 6 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed