Counago joins Malaga
TOWN'S highest earner Pablo Counago has a new club, writes David Vincent. The striker couldn't get in the starting line-up last season under Joe Royle.
TOWN'S highest earner Pablo Counago has a new club, writes David Vincent.
The striker couldn't get in the starting line-up last season under Joe Royle. He is now a free agent and has agreed a two-year deal with Malaga in the Primera Liga in his native Spain.
He arrived on a Bosman free transfer from Celta Vigo four years ago but last season Royle preferred Shefki Kuqi and Bent as a pair and criticised the Spaniard's fitness and attitude.
Counago will still have plenty of encouragement from English voices when he makes his Malaga debut next month. A large percentage of the club's season ticket holders is made up of ex-pats now living on the Costa del Sol.
Malaga looked relegation candidates for the first half of last season but then produced an amazing run which lifted them to a finishing position of 10th.
- 1 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 2 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 3 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 4 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 6 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 7 Anger as second homeowners set to receive £191million in Covid grants
- 8 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 9 PM ‘dropped a clanger’ with garden bash apology, legal expert suggests
- 10 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park