Cousins signs new contract
UP-AND-coming goalkeeper Mark Cousins has signed a new contract at Colchester United.Chelmsford-born Cousins broke into the first team squad last season, by making two appearances as a substitute during the U's relegation from the Championship.
UP-AND-coming goalkeeper Mark Cousins has signed a new contract at Colchester United.
Chelmsford-born Cousins broke into the first team squad last season, by making two appearances as a substitute during the U's relegation from the Championship.
The 21-year-old made his debut in the home game against Barnsley on August 18, following Dean Gerken's 26th minute red card for a professional foul on striker Kayode Odejayi.
You may also want to watch:
Cousins' first touch of the ball was to retrieve it from the net, as he just failed to reach Brian Howard's ensuing penalty following Gerken's foul.
And Cousins enjoyed a second outing in the 1-1 draw at Bristol City on January 12, this time replacing Gerken in the 82nd minute - the U's senior keeper injured himself while saving Ivan Sproule's shot at his near post.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 3 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 4 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 5 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 6 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 7 Essex home 'completely destroyed' by fire
- 8 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 9 Delays on A12 after crash near Saxmundham
- 10 Man in hospital with head injury after late night assault
"Hopefully, I will be able to push on even more next season, and push Deano for the No. 1 shirt," said Cousins, who has signed a new one-year deal.
Former youth-teamer Cousins spent a good deal of last season on the first-team bench, due to Aidan Davison's long-term injury problems.
Davison has since retired, so there could be even more opportunities for Cousins next season as the U's face up to life in League One, at their new Community Stadium on the Cuckoo Farm site.
In recent seasons he has spent time on loan at non-league clubs Whitton United, Yeading and Enfield.
Meanwhile, former U's assistant manager Micky Adams has been appointed as the new manager of Brighton & Hove Albion, who will be playing the U's in League One next term.