Craig Bellamy’s son on trial at Ipswich Town
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
The son of former Norwich City striker Craig Bellamy – Ellis – is currently on trial at Ipswich Town.
The left-footed 17-year-old – like his dad, a winger or striker – is set to be released by Cardiff City, having represented Wales up to Under-17 level.
Bellamy Senior has good friends within the Town academy, his former Newcastle United team-mate Kieron Dyer and ex-Norwich mentor Steve Foley both coaches at Playford Road.
“Craig rang up and asked if we would have a look at Ellis,” said Foley. “He’s been here a week or so and will be here next week too. He’ll train with the Under-18s and 21s. If he’s better than what we’ve got then he’ll stay; it’s as simple as that.
“Craig was at the training ground last week and was really good with the younger lads, answering all their questions. He’s now gone on holiday and left Ellis to it.”
You may also want to watch:
Craig Bellamy came through the youth ranks at Norwich and mentions the influence of Foley several times in his recent autobiography. He went on to play for Coventry, Newcastle, Celtic, Blackburn, Liverpool, West Ham and Manchester City before finishing his career at hometown club Cardiff.
“I don’t know how many connections he’s still got at Norwich or whether he spoke to them about Ellis,” said Foley. “He knows that Ipswich has always been a good club for bringing youth players through though and that’s why he contacted us.”
- 1 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 2 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 3 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 4 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 5 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 6 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 7 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 8 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 9 Young couple locked up after falling asleep in car containing class A drugs
- 10 'It could do us the world of good... it brings everyone down to earth with a little bit of a bump' - Cook on Millwall loss
Meanwhile, Town have also taken 17-year-old Needham Market winger/forward Ace Howell on trial. Foley, who also works as a coach at the Ryman League Division One North side, said: “He was at Ipswich before and was released at the age of 16. He’s done really well at Needham and earned his trial. It just shows that we’re looking everywhere for players; from local non-league to the Caymen Islands.”
Former Town players Dyer, James Scowcroft and Jason Dozzell are all coaching at Playford Road and all three have sons in the club’s academy.