Craig Slater has big role to play for Colchester United due to Sean Murray’s suspension
- Credit: Richard Blaxall / Colchester Uni
Craig Slater is set to play a key role in this Saturday’s home game against Barnet.
Colchester United midfielder Slater has been nursing a slight injury in recent games, and was substituted after 65 minutes during last weekend’s 1-1 draw at Blackpool.
However, the Scotsman will have little to chance rest up, due to fellow midfielder Sean Murray’s suspension.
Recent recruit Murray, who replaced Slater at Bloomfield Road, was sent off in injury time for a rash challenge on Jim McAlister, which left the Seasiders’ wing-back with a fractured tibia.
Murray therefore serves the first of a three-match ban this weekend, so Slater will retain his place in the starting line-up against the Bees.
“We are managing Craig’s (Slater’s) injury as well as we can,” explained manager John McGreal during this lunchtime’s press conference.
“Craig wants to play, all the time.
- 1 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 2 Plans for former Dorothy Perkins store in Suffolk town withdrawn
- 3 Driver caught speeding at 94mph in 50 zone on A140 in mid Suffolk
- 4 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
- 5 'A top team for League One' - Forest Green boss praises Town
- 6 Hunt for convicted murderer released on temporary licence in Ipswich
- 7 Andy's Angles: Five observations from Ipswich Town's win at Forest Green
- 8 Top food event set to provide showcase for more than 100 Suffolk producers
- 9 Noise warning issued due to late night fighter jet training over airbase
- 10 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
“We have to manage it, but he’s in a good place at the moment, as is everyone – it is a tight group.”
Murray will also miss Tuesday night’s home game against Crawley, and the following Saturday’s trip to Accrington Stanley.