Craig Slater has big role to play for Colchester United due to Sean Murray’s suspension
- Credit: Richard Blaxall / Colchester Uni
Craig Slater is set to play a key role in this Saturday’s home game against Barnet.
Colchester United midfielder Slater has been nursing a slight injury in recent games, and was substituted after 65 minutes during last weekend’s 1-1 draw at Blackpool.
However, the Scotsman will have little to chance rest up, due to fellow midfielder Sean Murray’s suspension.
Recent recruit Murray, who replaced Slater at Bloomfield Road, was sent off in injury time for a rash challenge on Jim McAlister, which left the Seasiders’ wing-back with a fractured tibia.
Murray therefore serves the first of a three-match ban this weekend, so Slater will retain his place in the starting line-up against the Bees.
You may also want to watch:
“We are managing Craig’s (Slater’s) injury as well as we can,” explained manager John McGreal during this lunchtime’s press conference.
“Craig wants to play, all the time.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 5 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 6 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 7 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Friends reunited, points to prove and more goals, please - Town face U's
- 10 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
“We have to manage it, but he’s in a good place at the moment, as is everyone – it is a tight group.”
Murray will also miss Tuesday night’s home game against Crawley, and the following Saturday’s trip to Accrington Stanley.