Cup heroes take a slide
Barnsley 1 Colchester United 0COLCHESTER United's chances of winning automatic promotion took a severe knock at rivals Barnsley, as they slid to a narrow defeat in a ding-dong battle at Oakwell this afternoon.
By Carl Marston
Barnsley 1 Colchester United 0
COLCHESTER United's chances of winning automatic promotion took a severe knock at rivals Barnsley, as they slid to a narrow defeat in a ding-dong battle at Oakwell this afternoon.
Brian Howard grabbed the winner in the 71st minute, sweeping home the rebound after Aidan Davison had done well to parry Howard's initial close-range effort.
You may also want to watch:
The U's came storming back and they did everything bar score during the closing stages. Chris Iwelumo hit the post on 88 minutes, and then both Gareth Williams and Greg Halford were denied by smart saves from keeper Nick Colgan in injury-time.
The visitors, however, could not fashion an equaliser during this late rally, and the Tykes held on to record a valuable win.
- 1 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 3 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 4 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 5 Matchday Live: Bonne thumps Town ahead at Lincoln
- 6 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 7 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 8 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 9 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 10 Grieving Cook determined to fill Town fans with joy
It certainly looks like being an exciting last couple of months of the season, with very few points separating the top few teams.