Cup victory for Needham

NEEDHAM Market came from a goal down to win the Ridgeons League Cup final at Diss on Monday.

NEEDHAM Market came from a goal down to win the Ridgeons League Cup final at Diss on Monday.

In their 69th match of the season, Danny Laws' side put the disappointment of losing the league title to Soham on Saturday, to come back from a half-time deficit to win.

Needham should have taken the lead in the third minute when Wake's cross was headed wide by Snell with just the keeper to beat.

A fine move from Smith to Thrower opened up the Gorleston defence who were glad to clear for a corner. From the flag-kick it took a brilliant save by Tom Marsden to tip Rhys Barber's shot over the bar.

You may also want to watch:

Despite Needham dominating they went behind in the 10th minute when a cross by Gary Ingram was headed into the net by Peter Lambert.

Needham were unlucky in the 13th minute when Wake's corner was met by Butler but a defender on the line cleared with his keeper beaten.

Most Read

The Gorleston defence was having a charmed life with shots and deflections going just wide.

At the start of the second half Gary Ingram had a good chance to make it two for the Norfolk side, but shot into the side netting.

Needham won corner after corner but nothing came from them. In the 56th minute Rhys Barber headed wide and it was beginning to look if Needham would never score.

A minute later however they did. From another cross the ball was not cleared and there was Snell with a shot that gave goalkeeper Marsden no chance.

Gorleston hit back and it took a great save by Jones to keep out Ingram's shot.

A cross by Thrower looked promising for Needham but Evans headed wide. Matt Buckle had a good chance but shot high over the bar.

In the 71st minute Needham took the lead when Danny Thrower's corner beat defenders and attackers alike and went straight into the net. Needham could have made the game safe in the 80th minute but Snell could not get any force behind his shot which gave goalkeeper Marston an easy save.

Needham had another good chance but Berry was crowded out at the last minute.

Final score: Gorleston 1, Needham Market 2

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus