Cureton on target for new club
FORMER Colchester United marksman Jamie Cureton was on target for his new club Norwich City over the weekend.Cureton moved to Carrow Road for an undisclosed fee earlier this summer, after winning the Championship's Golden Boot with the U's (23 league goals) last season.
By Carl Marston
FORMER Colchester United marksman Jamie Cureton was on target for his new club Norwich City over the weekend.
Cureton moved to Carrow Road for an undisclosed fee earlier this summer, after winning the Championship's Golden Boot with the U's (23 league goals) last season.
The Canaries are currently on a pre-season tour of Holland, and Cureton netted a late goal in Saturday's 2-0 win at AGOVV Apeldoorn.
You may also want to watch:
On as a substitute for the start of the second-half, 31-year-old Cureton tapped home in the 83rd minute after Gary Doherty's header had hit the bar. Fellow substitute Chris Brown had broken the deadlock earlier in the second period.
But there was no such luck for another Colchester old boy, Wayne Brown, whose afternoon was cut short by injury. Centre-half Brown, who left Layer Road to join Hull City in a £450,000 deal earlier this month, was paired alongside Damien Delaney in Saturday's pre-season fixture at Stockport County.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 6 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 7 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain
Brown was given a long run-out, but he tweaked a hamstring and was eventually replaced by Michael Turner on 69 minutes. The Tigers were held to a 2-2 draw.
Richard Garcia, who also moved from Colchester to Hull this month, on a free transfer, appeared as a 78th minute substitute at Edgeley Park.
Elsewhere, Cureton's old strike-force partner Chris Iwelumo is currently enjoying pre-season with his new club Charlton Athletic in Spain.
Before leaving for the warm-weather training camp last Wednesday, Iwelumo was able to celebrate scoring for his new club for the first time, by bagging a brace in a 5-0 win at Tooting & Mitcham. Iwelumo signed a three-year deal with Charlton in May.