Cureton signs for Leyton Orient
COLCHESTER United transfer target Jamie Cureton has signed for the club’s League One rivals Leyton Orient.
The 35-year-old, having rejected a new contract at Exeter City, held preliminary talks with the U’s earlier this summer.
He told the EADT last week that he would love to return to the club – the place where he won the Championship golden boot before controversially handing in a transfer request and leaving for Norwich – and urged owner Robbie Cowling to get back in touch.
However, it appears the Essex club’s manager John Ward has strikers further up his list of targets.
Colchester lacked goals last season and have had their strike force further weakened this summer with the expiration of top-scorer David Mooney’s loan.
You may also want to watch:
They have already missed out on Dean Bowditch, with the former Ipswich striker having chosen to join MK Dons on a Bosman free from Yeovil following talks with Colchester.
The U’s could yet go in for Mooney’s permanent signature, the Irishman having been released by Reading, while another of their former strikers – Kevin Lisbie – is also a free agent.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 3 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 4 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 5 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 6 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 7 Essex home 'completely destroyed' by fire
- 8 Man in hospital with head injury after late night assault
- 9 Stephen Ward on play-offs belief, Cook's criticism and his future
- 10 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
Ward has already admitted he would like to sign two new front men to add competition to Steven Gillespie and Kayode Odejayi.