Danny hands out derby justice

NOT so much the hand of God but the long arm of justice.Danny Haynes' late winner may have gone in off his limb rather than the head that he was trying to connect with under pressure but it was a goal he and Ipswich Town thoroughly deserved.

By Derek Davis

NOT so much the hand of God but the long arm of justice.

Danny Haynes' late winner may have gone in off his limb rather than the head that he was trying to connect with under pressure but it was a goal he and Ipswich Town thoroughly deserved.

Although it was Norwich that went ahead through debut-making Jonatan Johansson, the Blues also looked the better side and anything other than three points would have been a travesty on par with Town's 3-1 loss here almost two years ago.

No so long ago this season going a goal down would have meant good bye to a result, but over the past six week the Blues have metamorphosed into a side with an ability to score which matches their resilience and belief.

It took Town just five minutes to get back on level terms and it was fitting that it was a goal created in midfield.

Most Read

Owen Garvan, the 18-year-old Irishman who plays way beyond his years, was fouled just outside the area and Jimmy Juan beat Rob Green with the help of a Johansson deflection from the wall.

Matt Richards hit a post for Town while Johansson did likewise for City but it wouldn't have counted as it was ruled out for offside

The Blues' deserved winner came two minutes before the end and owed much to Town's quick thinking and determined play.

Scott Barron joined the attack and rewarded Richards' clever run with a neat ball. Richards had time to cross and Alan Lee headed back across goal for the diving Haynes to connect for a glorious winner.

The inventiveness and paradoxically the directness of Town's attack had City floundering and their skipper Craig Fleming was booked for his desperate lunging tackles, before he had to go off injured in body and mind.

City relied heavily on long balls over or under and for the most part found no way past the Blues organised back line.

New £3.5m signing Rob Earnshaw and his colleagues were continually caught offside, with four being flagged at one time.

But the one time the flag stayed down Johansson, a long time target for Ipswich, sped onto Safri ball over the top and chipped a stranded Price.

The Moroccan, freshly returned from the African Cup of Nations, always looked the most likely to cause problems and might have been rewarded from one of his corners which bounced around dangerously before Rehman scooped over the bar from three yards.

For the most part Ipswich ate up Norwich for brunch.

Lewis Price, starting in place of the flu-stricken Shane supple was barely troubled and when he was he coped comfortably, including a super tip over save from Johansson's shot.

French midfielder Jimmy Juan, who has told Monaco he wants to join Ipswich on a permanent basis, returned to the side after serving a one-match ban against Leeds last Tuesday. He demonstrated why the Blues are so keen to keep him with a sparkling performance climaxed by the goal.

Town moved into the top half of the table with their second away win in a row and the victory was made all the sweeter because it was at derby rivals Norwich City.

Even with the loss of Gavin Williams after just 24 minutes, who was given an injection so he could start, Ipswich looked fresh and dangerous.

Darren Currie put in another excellent shift and twice almost added to his goal tally for the season.

He controlled a clearance on his chest and volleyed first time Green made it look spectacular. Another attempt by Currie from the edge of the area looked headed for a top corner but Green did well top tip it away. The City keeper was nowhere near a half volley from Matt Richards, which hit a post, and Green did well to turn away another Richards' attempt.

The Town attack was relentless and twice might have had penalties as City were stretched.

Green was fortunate to escape when Haynes got on the end of a Garvan ball and nodded over the keeper only to get a full blow in the face, while Rehman prevented the ball rolling into the net.

Furious Blues players remonstrated with the referee Keith Ipswich to no effect and the Hampshire official was equally unmoved when Alan lee was clearly pushed in the back by Gary Doherty as he went for header.

Haynes then had beating of substitute Jason Shackell who got tackle in just as he shot and it went high and he went down injured.

Clearly struggling town were looking to put on Sito Castro but will be glad they waited as the 18-year-old snatched the winner and completed the set of scoring at youth, reserve and senior level against the East Anglian foes.

The former Charlton trainee, who once had a trial with Norwich, did go off but was soon sprinting across the pitch to celebrate at the final whistle with the 2,000 Town fans that had been fortunate enough to make the trip.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter