Darren Mills strikes to seal a win for Bury Town over Witham
- Credit: Archant
Bury Town 1 Witham Town 0
Bury Town ended a four-game losing streak, thanks to a close-range finish by Darren Mills against fellow mid-table side Witham Town at Ram Meadow tonight.
The Blues had suffered defeats at the hands of Haringey, Aveley, Cheshunt and Bowers & Pitsea in recent games, but they halted the slide in freezing conditions.
Ollie Hughes, a bundle of energy all night, created the only goal of the game, which arrived in the 66th minute.
Hughes surged down the left flank and his low delivery was helped on by Cemal Ramadan for the alert Mills to convert from point blank range.
It had been a first half of very few chances, with players often struggling to keep on their feet on a fast-freezing surface.
There was danger for the Blues on 12 minutes, when winger Shamido Pedulu got to the by-line and crossed into the danger zone, but John Watson blasted his first-time shot wide from an angle.
- 1 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 2 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 3 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 4 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 5 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK
- 6 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 7 JCB skip loader worth £5,500 stolen from Suffolk village
- 8 'Ipswich did so much for me' - Knight excited for Town return with Crewe after dream Manchester City move
- 9 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 10 'You can't kid supporters... we have to give them a lift' - Cook previews Crewe clash
Bury did not really threaten until midway through the first half, leading scorer Ramadan testing Bobby Mason with a low drive which Witham’s keeper saved down at his near upright.
Ollie Hughes also had a half-chance on 27 minutes, rifling shot through a crowded penalty area but failing to find the target.
At the other end, Correy Davidson sneaked past right-back David Cooper but rather fluffed his lines, firing his shot high and wide from a good position.
On the stroke of half-time, Bradley Barber headed narrowly wide from Ramadan’s free-kick to end a goalless first period.
Just after the hour mark, Hughes was twice denied by keeper Mason, who tipped one header over the bar and then caught the other under his bar.
Witham had a goal disallowed for offside in the 64th minute, after Pedulu had slotted home following a one-two with Imbert.
Two minutes later and Mills struck with the winner.
BURY: Tibbles, Cooper, Robinson (sub Dunlop. 81), Fenn, White, Clements, Kennedy, Mills, Ramadan, Barber, Hughes. Unused subs: Schaar, Wigley, Mayhew.
WITHAM: Mason, Mallett, Hayes, Payne (sub Osadebe, 71), Ahern, Corlett, Pedulu, Watson (sub Ronto, 52), Imbert, Robinson (sub Gyebi, 67), Davidson. Unused subs: Kemsley, Aidara